Greenwood/Seton type furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimnj

Sep 3, 2008
nj
Hi
I am currently in the process of building a Greenwood/Seton type furnace.
My question is: what is the clearance between the door frame and the door, or more specifically , the clearance between the steel frame that holds the refractory in the door and the door frame.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

I haven't seen one personally.....but I'm also researching this. Here's my take...

Furnace is 34" wide w/ a 20 inch firebox inside dimension. Add 4" of refractory on both sides and it totals out to 34-20-8 = 6" of extra insulation. Split that in half for both sides and it looks to come out at 3" of extra insulation (2 inch of mineral wool + 1 inch of ceramic fiber board) from outside of firebox.

3" of space on sides is my best guess.

1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. the handle side is tapers 3/4 of an inch. that is the clearence around the door itself to door frame. i dont think the picture helps show the taper.

Attachments

• DSCF0309.JPG
    DSCF0309.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 285
Thankyou for the replies, 2.beans has the information I was looking for.
......and with pictures :)
I really appreciate the help, the door to frame clearance is one of the more critical issues
that has to be right the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.