Greeting s from the Czech Republic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fly I could get into the fact BEER is cheaper than water!!

Just a quick note on posting pictures from iPad. I couldn't do it until I got the app, Tapatalk. That allows you to post pics from iPad.
Great pics and stories! Very much enjoying this thread.

You can order green, one year old and two or more years old.
The dealers here should do that, but they find it easier to lie to the customer and claim that the wood is two-year seasoned, even though it has been lying in a pile of 4' logs somewhere. ;lol
I always questioned the stacking in meter length and then cutting to size in the final year as well. Now I can see that the advantage is that you can stack higher and the stack is more stable (I have two small boys 3 and 2) and in limited space can fit a lot more wood.
That makes a lot of sense. A disadvantage would be that the drying process takes a bit longer in meter lengths. I'm not as far ahead as I need to be on wood now that I'm helping some in-laws build up their wood reserves, so I have to stack stove length in single rows so the wind can do its job as quickly as possible. I'm now trying to get wood types that will dry by next Winter. :oops:

Welcome Fly.
Thanks for sharing all the great pictures.
I kind of like the one meter length idea (although we would have to do a yard over here :)) for stacking - I suspect it would help keep the stacks intact better.

Nice Czech Kodiak II! The Canadian wood stoves was a good idea from my friend. He is the authorized dealer for Europe. Czechs have an overwhelming like for Canada and lots of Czechs ended up especially in Toronto. Czechs went to the States in the 19th century and the ties are not so close and then the politics etc. The Czechs went to Canada during communism. The American ones are just as good I am sure, but the marketing is a bit tougher. Husqvarna and Stihl are the usual. Have a Husqvarna shop down the street. When I am pricing a chainsaw now, the price is 30-50 % higher here than what I can find in the States. May wait until friends come over and buy it there. I usually do that for most big purchases. If it is posted, they open the box, check the local price here, add 20% VAT tax and then you pay!

We have a strong Czech presence in our area. Thomas Bata opened Batawa (the villages name) north or where I grew up. For some strange reason Canada also pays more for the luxury of a Husqvarna or Stihl saw, with an added 13% we call HST.

Great to hear from you Fly! Got screwed out of a lot of money in Prague by a taxi driver, but as long as we have wood burning in common I won't hold it against you:) My in laws are from Poland and they are old school and all have ceramic wood stove heaters in their homes. Really some incredible stoves. Even the water is heated by wood stove! Do you guys have anything like that? Pictures are great!

I have a Pacific Energy Super 27.
I've got the same stove as you - two of them actually. We also heat 100% with wood. The work is worth the heat! Many of my friends are complaining about how they have spent over $1000 on heating oil just over the winter. We haven't bought heating oil since we installed our first stove.

Hi Fly, in Germany they sell wood by the cubic meter, so I suspect that wood is cut to meter lengths since that makes it easier to size and sell a cubic meter of wood to someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.