Greetings and Salutations!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

esobalvarro

Mar 20, 2008
Northern Colorado
Greetings,

I'm the proud new owner of a restored Ensign cooking stove. I was wondering if anyone here could take a gander at the image and tell me more about what I have, it's approximate age etc.

Looking forward to learning more about caring for this stove and cleaning the flue, etc.

Attachments

• ensign.jpg
    ensign.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 310
It reminds me of the one my grandmother had...hers wasn't as shiny though. Been a long time but hers was about 56" in length. Her favorite wood was willow...after a good storm she'd take me out with my wagon and we'd pick up limbs.

The family did all there cookings on it too...funny I don't remember it being that hot in the summertime either. Just say'en they had a coal stove in the basement for primary heat. The one firm memory I have is my mother & grandmother cooking down crates of grapes to make grape jelly for the winter...they sealed the jars with wax back then.

My grandmothers house was near the corner of Adams and State st in Syracuse... just a rifle shot from the Syr War Memorial...and I can't believer she was the only one cooking with wood either. Sorry to babble on.

Thank you for your reply. I've searched for the name "ensign" along with cast iron stove and other variations with no joy. I was just hoping to come across a scanned manual or something. It's not meant to be the primary heat source, just a backup cooking source.

Welcome to the forum. That sure is a beautiful stove. Also looks like a beautiful installation.

beautiful period piece, unfortuately i can only admire and not advise as i do not know the ins and outs of that side of the industry, but am compelled to remark that your appliance is a real beauty i hope you rae successful in finding the info you seek

Status
Not open for further replies.