"Gren heat wood bricks"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 20, 2012
60 S. of Chicago
picked some of these up at a local menards for $5.00 (Pack of 24) 38lbs.
3-4 bricks in our cyldesdale seems to put out some decent heat for about 2-3 hours. What I like so far is that they don't seem to fall apart like some others. They dont seem to turn to mush after a while.
It says on the package that you can grill over them as well. Has anyone out there in Hearth land tried this. I'm kinda curious.

thanks,
Chuck :cheese:

Sounds like they are small, like Biobricks? I've never grilled over them but I've used Biobricks, Envi blocks and now just picked up some Tractor Supply bricks today (they are big - 3 bricks probably = 5 or 6 Envi blocks).

We usually use the mesquite wood chips (no starters etc added) in the grill. Be curious to see if anyone's grilled over these - I don't see why you couldn't since they don't put any chemicals in them.

mfglickman said:
Sounds like they are small, like Biobricks? I've never grilled over them but I've used Biobricks, Envi blocks and now just picked up some Tractor Supply bricks today (they are big - 3 bricks probably = 5 or 6 Envi blocks).

We usually use the mesquite wood chips (no starters etc added) in the grill. Be curious to see if anyone's grilled over these - I don't see why you couldn't since they don't put any chemicals in them.

Unless part/some of the sawdust is coming from someplace that is cutting plywood which would have glue in it!

Gary

I personally would NEVER EVER cook on something like this! You simply don't know what is in them! I have no desire to ever use them either. I got into woodburning so I could be totally independent of buying fuel for my heat, so I'll stick with firewood.... ;-)

Scotty Overkill said:
I personally would NEVER EVER cook on something like this! You simply don't know what is in them! I have no desire to ever use them either. I got into woodburning so I could be totally independent of buying fuel for my heat, so I'll stick with firewood.... ;-)

That's awesome when you've got good wood - but for those of us newbies who are on Year 1 (unexpectedly, I may add), these things provide the ability to get away from the oil man while the good wood seasons...

Gary_602z said:
mfglickman said:

Unless part/some of the sawdust is coming from someplace that is cutting plywood which would have glue in it!

Gary

They claim no - hence why they are OK for woodstoves. I won't use anything in my woodstove that might have glue, varnish etc. in it.

The OP said that the package says you can grill over them so I don't see what the big deal is - especially when you consider those big box store charcoals chock full of lighter fluid and other chemicals!

mfglickman said:
Scotty Overkill said:

That's awesome when you've got good wood - but for those of us newbies who are on Year 1 (unexpectedly, I may add), these things provide the ability to get away from the oil man while the good wood seasons...
OK, I'll let you slide this time! :smirk: I'm at least three years ahead, so take it from me.......get as much wood as you can, split it as soon as you can, and stack it as soon as you can so you can use it as soon as you need it!!! You'll laugh at funny words like ecobricks!! :lol:

I prefer wood.

Thanks all!!

I've been curious about these for a while so when I saw the pack of 20 for $5 I couldnt resist.
I'm actually about 3 years ahead on wood so far, thanks to a couple mega scrounges.
Thanks for the input!
Chuck

Used these today. 44 outside as of 2 o'clock. Built a little fire at 6 this morning, around 11 had a nice bed of coals and a warm house. Put one Gren heat fire brick on an opened draft to about 1/4. Wow is about all I can say. A little under 80 at 2 pm. My only complaint would be no to little coals left. Figured u would use them when we get to single digits, but nice product.