1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

"Gren heat wood bricks"

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by chuckie5fingers, Mar 5, 2012.

1. chuckie5fingers

chuckie5fingers Member

Loc:
    60 S. of Chicago
    picked some of these up at a local menards for $5.00 (Pack of 24) 38lbs.
    3-4 bricks in our cyldesdale seems to put out some decent heat for about 2-3 hours. What I like so far is that they don't seem to fall apart like some others. They dont seem to turn to mush after a while.
    It says on the package that you can grill over them as well. Has anyone out there in Hearth land tried this. I'm kinda curious.

thanks,
    Chuck :cheese:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chuckie5fingers

chuckie5fingers Member

Loc:
    60 S. of Chicago
    no input guys??
    Help a new guy out

thanks
  3. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    Sounds like they are small, like Biobricks? I've never grilled over them but I've used Biobricks, Envi blocks and now just picked up some Tractor Supply bricks today (they are big - 3 bricks probably = 5 or 6 Envi blocks).

We usually use the mesquite wood chips (no starters etc added) in the grill. Be curious to see if anyone's grilled over these - I don't see why you couldn't since they don't put any chemicals in them.
  4. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI
    Unless part/some of the sawdust is coming from someplace that is cutting plywood which would have glue in it!

Gary
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I personally would NEVER EVER cook on something like this! You simply don't know what is in them! I have no desire to ever use them either. I got into woodburning so I could be totally independent of buying fuel for my heat, so I'll stick with firewood.... ;-)
  6. mfglickman

Loc:
    NW CT
    That's awesome when you've got good wood - but for those of us newbies who are on Year 1 (unexpectedly, I may add), these things provide the ability to get away from the oil man while the good wood seasons...
  7. mfglickman

Loc:
    NW CT
    They claim no - hence why they are OK for woodstoves. I won't use anything in my woodstove that might have glue, varnish etc. in it.

The OP said that the package says you can grill over them so I don't see what the big deal is - especially when you consider those big box store charcoals chock full of lighter fluid and other chemicals!
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

OK, I'll let you slide this time! :smirk: I'm at least three years ahead, so take it from me.......get as much wood as you can, split it as soon as you can, and stack it as soon as you can so you can use it as soon as you need it!!! You'll laugh at funny words like ecobricks!! :lol:
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I prefer wood.
  10. chuckie5fingers

chuckie5fingers Member

Loc:
    60 S. of Chicago
    Thanks all!!

I've been curious about these for a while so when I saw the pack of 20 for $5 I couldnt resist.
    I'm actually about 3 years ahead on wood so far, thanks to a couple mega scrounges.
    Thanks for the input!
    Chuck