grey spots on wood ? (photo)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
My wood is increasingly getting more and more greyish spots what is it ? I dont think its mold you cant not rub it off.

Attachments

• greywood.jpg
    greywood.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 540
If you're talking about that copper like patina mold ... well that's on a lot of our wood too, It's a dryish flaky type of mold similar to the lichens you find when you get up north. Does no harm to the wood burning process that I can see.

Yup, as Savage said it is lichen, as in moss on the small rounds. Probably they were on the north side of the tree before it was cut. Only a few have it.

Season your wood, keep it covered and dry, then enjoy your wood stove!

Best way to get rid of it is throw it in your stove.

not the mold or moss on the bark i am talking about the cut ends

You had better bring it to my testing facility so as I can burn it and give you a full report

From what I've seen, wood will just turn grey on its own if left alone long enough. There's a row of splits in the back of my grandmother's wood shed that have been there for years and years (never get deep enough into the pile to reach them). Those splits are literally solid grey from end to end.

Wood exposed to sun and rain will grey.

LLigetfa said:
Wood exposed to sun and rain will grey.

Good point. I failed to mention that that particular side of the shed receives a lot of sun and is covered only by wire. That particular wood is so old that it may very well not even be worth burning.

maybe fungi - I have some cherry that has some two or three inches more growth than that.
My stack is East/West. The fungi growth is worse on the North side of the stack. My covers are rotting away and everything is getting wetter than normal.
I usualy have troubles with growth on the ends of cherry. I try not to keep any around beyond two seasons.

Put it in the stove to get rid of it.

Better take it to the wood Doctor and have it checked out,dont want any Virus sick wood. The whole rack could be infected !

Termite pee turns grey. Maybe I should come and get that stuff before it starts to smell...

Status
Not open for further replies.