Grinder and Aux. Oiler Setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I did finally set these two up, I will stop by in the morning and pick some rubber and regular washers for the grinder and some smaller ties for the aux. oiler hose.

Anyone with the aux. oiler in picture 3520 the post seems loose is there a part missing?

zap

Attachments

• 100_3517.jpg
    100_3517.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 346
  • 100_3518.jpg
    100_3518.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 302
  • 100_3519.jpg
    100_3519.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 315
  • 100_3520.jpg
    100_3520.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 325
You could deform the female side of where that post connects. Just grab some vice grips, give it a little squeeze.

If you want it tighter wrap it with some black tape... ;-) Grinder looks Good! hydro looks cool!

smokinjay said:
If you want it tighter wrap it with some black tape... ;-) Grinder looks Good! hydro looks cool!

Just one other item that I need to purchase, a chair. I'll see how high I need it.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Just one other item that I need to purchase, a chair. I'll see how high I need it.

zap

Hydro ast....lol My shop no longer looks like this. My Mom seen the pic on face book and ask if I had been doing some major cleaning.

Attachments

• work bench shoes.jpg
    work bench shoes.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 284
Nice setup Zap. I need to do the same with my 511 as there are about a dozen chains that need its attention.

Drill & tap it, & install a thumbscrew maybe?

SolarAndWood said:
Nice setup Zap. I need to do the same with my 511 as there are about a dozen chains that need its attention.

Thanks Solar, did one chain last night but have about seven or eight that need sharpening so things should get better with this second chain.

zap

amateur cutter said:

Good idea, thanks.

zap

You're welcome, very nice set up btw.

zapny said:
amateur cutter said:

Good idea, thanks.

zap

Not a bad Idea at all....Not a big deal but if you have a tap pretty cool. If not your like me a little black tape. Western mich sounds close! lol

Yea, did I fail to mention that I have a full service automotive & truck repair shop @ my home? I forget that not everyone has access to the tools that I do.

If you ever get up this way, PM me & stop in. A C

amateur cutter said:
Yea, did I fail to mention that I have a full service automotive & truck repair shop @ my home? I forget that not everyone has access to the tools that I do.

If you ever get up this way, PM me & stop in. A C

I had a feeling there was a Awesome shop of some kind... ;-)

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
amateur cutter said:

Good idea, thanks.

zap

Not a bad Idea at all....Not a big deal but if you have a tap pretty cool. If not your like me a little black tape. Western mich sounds close! lol

Finally did more sharpening last night with the Oregon, eleven chains including the ripping chain for the 36 inch bar. I still have some rakers that need filing on the ripping chain plus three other chains.

zap

zap let us know what you think of the grinder and oiler after some use. I still kind of like hand filing the most and only grind if my hand filing does not seem to be working. I can hand file faster. As far as the oiler as I understand it they just drip. I have found if I have a squirt bottle of oil I can just give it a squeeze on the end of the bar every few feet and give the saw a break for a few seconds so I question if it is really worth the money.

GolfandWoodNut said:
zap let us know what you think of the grinder and oiler after some use. I still kind of like hand filing the most and only grind if my hand filing does not seem to be working. I can hand file faster. As far as the oiler as I understand it they just drip. I have found if I have a squirt bottle of oil I can just give it a squeeze on the end of the bar every few feet and give the saw a break for a few seconds so I question if it is really worth the money.

I am running one as-well would not take much to make one out of a water bottle and a Valle to adjust the oil. jmo

GolfandWoodNut said:

I like the grinder and the control you have over your own chain and how much you take off, I'll try and get out and do some cutting this weekend with one of the chains I sharpened.

Like smokin says, tap,tap when sharpening. The oiler will be nice with the big bars but smokin is the guy who has used the oiler the most.

zap

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Hydro ast....lol My shop no longer looks like this. My Mom seen the pic on face book and ask if I had been doing some major cleaning.

Smokin when you sharpen your chains with the oregon do you use the ten degree down angle, out for left hand cutters and in for right hand cutters?

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Smokin when you sharpen your chains with the oregon do you use the ten degree down angle, out for left hand cutters and in for right hand cutters?

Zap

I use the back tilt at 60 and front at 10 and the chain holder or locking side at 0.......I know some like to tilt that angel but there is no real advantage or speed to that setting. So the only thing you need to do is turn it for the other side.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Zap

Talked with Oregon today and they are changing the back angle from 60 to 55 for their chains.

zap

I use the back tilt at 60 and front at 10 and the chain holder or locking side at 0.......I know some like to tilt that angel but there is no real advantage or speed to that setting. So the only thing you need to do is turn it for the other side.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1311354482 said:

zap

Zap

Talked with Oregon today and they are changing the back angle from 60 to 55 for their chains.

zap

Yea even that 5 degrees is really no issue. On Cross cut Chain will call anywhere from 20 to 35 as an average. I cut 3/8 at 30 and the mircos at 25, but there are adjustable.....

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny" date="1311361377 said:

zap

Zap

zap

Yea even that 5 degrees is really no issue. On Cross cut Chain will call anywhere from 20 to 35 as an average. I cut 3/8 at 30 and the mircos at 25, but there are adjustable.....

Milling action tomorrow, popping the tops off the big pine then milling all day.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1311361551 said:
zapny" date="1311361377 said:

zap

Zap

zap

Milling action tomorrow, popping the tops off the big pine then milling all day.

zap

Go pick heavy those are some nice pines!

Status
Not open for further replies.