Grinder experiment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Firewood Bandit

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2014
Western WIsconsin
This is a project I started on a couple years ago with the help of a friend who is an amazing machinist. The thought was to replicate a Silvey 510 style vice on a $100 Tecomec grinder. The problem with all grinders IMHO except the Silvey is the fact they clamp the chain on the bottom at the driver. When this is done it is not real accurate and the cutters moves when it is being clamped. The Silvey has a pawl system that catches the the rear of the cutter and as you pull back on the chain naturally "seats" the cutter/driver in the rails. To make this even more precise a new vice was constructed with .002" clearance for each gauge. Shims were made so that 50, 58 and 63 gauge would all fit very snug.

The grinder works well, the geometry isn't quite right compared to the Silvey but it would bore most with the minutia. Sorry didn't have good macro shots but you get the idea. The last pic is a pretty worn chain that I just ground in preparation for cutting a half dozen very large white pine. My buddy has a bunch of youngsters who just love pounding nails in trees so I prepped this one in anticipation.

zsvhms.jpg

mhvhh2.jpg

24qnuw4.jpg

fn7pzk.jpg

A little over engineered for the average homeowner type cutter isn't it?
Many of us just free hand with a file. Even when I ran the sharpening shop that kind of accuracy was never expected.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
A little over engineered for the average homeowner type cutter isn't it?
Many of us just free hand with a file. Even when I ran the sharpening shop that kind of accuracy was never expected.

Probably right.;)

But I am not a real normal homeowner either.==c

What kind of grinders did you use in the sharpening shop?

I had an old Oregon that I used. Never saw too may chains in the shop, In fact I should have done more research before I bought the shop. Sharpening is really not worth it as a business, too much throw away stuff not worth messing with.

I had an old Oregon that I used. Never saw too may chains in the shop, In fact I should have done more research before I bought the shop. Sharpening is really not worth it as a business, too much throw away stuff not worth messing with.

You are probably right, sharpening is a poor business model. This is a hobby of mine and I like nice things.

One of my neighbors often commented that he could tell if it was me running a saw or any one of the other neighbors from the sound of the saws. Most don't have a clue about sharp chains and they just "punish" the wood and burn their way through it. I ground a chain for one neighbor and it literally had wood fiber so imbedded in the cutter face I had to take a pic and dig it out before I could grind it.

I got a Husky 455 from a dealers junk pile.It was new looking and had a tech tag on it marked sharpen chain which was crossed out and marked scored piston.
I replaced the engine in the nice plastics with a low hour 460.Then i went to sharpen the chain.There wasn't a sharp cutter on it anywhere,the cutters were like little hammers that he must pounded his way through the wood.The saw was packed full of fine dust as well.The chain killed the saw no doubt about it.

Well I do not know about your shop but I have been making a living with mine for more than 20 years, but then it is not just a sharpening only endeavor. I have plum wore out several of the Tecomec style grinders ( note Oregon is a re-badged Tecomec). With Silvey gone, I now have to make my own chain stop/pawls for that unit.

Hi Ron how’ve you been? You have one of nicest sharpening setups in the state I’m sure. I used to get down to LaCrosse when I lived in the cities but not so much any more but I’ll give you a shout if I do so I can see your shop in person. There’s much worse things could be doing with your time and money.

I got a Husky 455 from a dealers junk pile.It was new looking and had a tech tag on it marked sharpen chain which was crossed out and marked scored piston.
I replaced the engine in the nice plastics with a low hour 460.Then i went to sharpen the chain.There wasn't a sharp cutter on it anywhere,the cutters were like little hammers that he must pounded his way through the wood.The saw was packed full of fine dust as well.The chain killed the saw no doubt about it.
That had to be my neighbors saw, he’ll be out there just revving the hell out of his poor saw for 2-3 minutes per cut working it back and forth like it’ll speed up the cut. The tree is smoking so much when he’s doing this that you’d think the thing would be all burnt up before he chucks it in his stove. It drives me nuts. Lol

Well I do not know about your shop but I have been making a living with mine for more than 20 years, but then it is not just a sharpening only endeavor.

I bought an entire shop that had been closed a few years so the customers he had were long gone. It was like starting from scratch and since I was working 50-60 hrs a week at the tree company I just did not have the time. I made more money selling Echo & Oregon than sharpening. That was 25 years and a divorce ago and ended up selling the equipment for a third of what I paid for it, So I guess you just write it off as a learning experience.

Ya, I weathered the divorce thing as well. Most of the original customers ( when I bought the shop) that were using the service back in 94 are long gone now, companies and people. Didn't really shift the focus but added services expanding the capabilities. There were areas that were being farmed out for lack of equipment to do the job - now everything is done in house. What started out as a small sharpening only service is now a small machine shop. Not everyone can pull that off, I just have an extremely varied background that I am able to apply. Likely not a viable business to be sold unfortunately. Not much value in today"s market for equipment ( all old school) more what I am capable of doing with same- hard to teach that.

Firewood Bandit
Here's one that i think you need to add to your lineup.Have it out front so others can't see your real setup.
chain grinder.JPG

Firewood Bandit
Here's one that i think you need to add to your lineup.Have it out front so others can't see your real setup.View attachment 225259

Is that an old Foley (pre Belsaw-Foley) ? I have an antique foley that is maybe 1/3 that size that looks very similar.

I don't know i saw it for sale and thought it might be homemade.

Hi Ron how’ve you been? You have one of nicest sharpening setups in the state I’m sure. I used to get down to LaCrosse when I lived in the cities but not so much any more but I’ll give you a shout if I do so I can see your shop in person. There’s much worse things could be doing with your time and money.

Things are good. Stop by anytime if you are in the area.

I thought about calling you when we were up snowmobiling this year. My buddy lives near Hayward, but the Tuscobea trail goes right through your neck of the woods.

Firewood Bandit
Here's one that i think you need to add to your lineup.Have it out front so others can't see your real setup.View attachment 225259

The way it's made, I could see it being a Foley Belsaw. I can't imagine the head having to move a foot in order to make contact with the chain.