Grinding - PC45

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chiroman

Oct 6, 2011
eastern canada
I am getting a loud ,but occasional, grinding noise in my stove. it happens more often when the stove is just starting up. It sounds like the auger might be getting stuck for a moment and causing the motor to work harder. The best way I can describe the sound like gears skipping.I've been using a pellet that is a little bit hard,but $1.50 less per bag, for the last 2 years. Several friends with other types of stoves have complained about these pellets clogging their augers etc. I am wondering if I have damaged the motor or caused some other harm to my stove. I don't think this will help because these pellets may not be available in the US, but they are called "comfy cozy" and are made in Nova Scotia by Irving. The "best" pellet here is Eastern Embers but they are a lot more costly.

Hello
Just sounds like a dirty auger with maybe some black carbon on it. The worst it could be is a bad auger bearing but extremely rare on a Harman. I would pull the auger and buff it out with a wire wheel on a drill/driver. Then check for pimples of splattered slag and burrs and grind them down. Then spray auger with "Dry Moly" and put it back in and you should be good to go!
See some pics in the link here that I took.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/holy-harman-auger-pox-batman.109241/

Good Luck

Last edited:
I had that ugly grinding noise last season and chipped the carbon away and problem was solved for awhile. Fuel related issue as had no problems with another pellet. Going to be burning a lot more corn this coming season. Have to get the wagon in to the elevator before markets go back up. Under $4 a bushel

I had that ugly grinding noise last season and chipped the carbon away and problem was solved for awhile. Fuel related issue as had no problems with another pellet. Going to be burning a lot more corn this coming season. Have to get the wagon in to the elevator before markets go back up. Under $4 a bushel
Where was the carbon?
Did you pull the auger ?
I have a 25-pdvc with the same problem now. It only seems to happen on bottom feeders! I will go back and pull the augers but the bottom auger did look black.
Maybe auger pox too!

Usually on the last inch or so. Have not had to pull the auger for that issue. The tube gets a fair amount of build up as well and I use a 1/4 inch screwdriver to chip and scrape. Going to do a complete tare down when the weather gets hot and I can enjoy the coolness of the basement. Will paint the auger with graphite paint. Hope we don't get another 8 month heating season with record cold months.

Usually on the last inch or so. Have not had to pull the auger for that issue. The tube gets a fair amount of build up as well and I use a 1/4 inch screwdriver to chip and scrape. Going to do a complete tare down when the weather gets hot and I can enjoy the coolness of the basement. Will paint the auger with graphite paint. Hope we don't get another 8 month heating season with record cold months.

It was 93 Degs and boiling hot here yesterday! LOL I recommend "Dry Moly" on the auger not graphite. Some graphite sprays can attract dirt, "Dry Moly" is what Mike Holton recommends also.
I have a spare Harman Auger if I need one, but this summer I just may upgrade the Combustion Blower to the new 1.75 Amp job for easier startups. The one in there now is so old I cannot get the impeller blades off for a proper cleaning and "Dry Moly" treatment to both sides, so I may have to looosen the bolts on the back and get out the hack saw to the motor shaft. Only way to get it out in this case!
That means a new set of shinny blades and new windings and blower motor. I have seen blowers get tired and not start up quick and blow hard. That makes the glass get dirtier faster. So just to avoid headaches next winter and make the stove perform it's very best a new blower may do the trick,

Like I said I use a graphite paint. Totally different from a spray lube. I use it on all sorts of equipment like mower decks and shovels and hoppers. Farm supply store handles it for farm equipment augers and gravity boxes and seed hoppers. Self priming too. I use a moly enriched oil for a high speed cycle. Great for gearboxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.