Grinding Vanguard chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmmm never check my field sharpening skills with a zoom lens.

Wiskey Tango Foxtrot, what's "THIS " ?
I see fingers, I see bar nose. "This" is what ?
And yes, Pferd can do "this".. Pferd can do.

Your truly lost huh? And no a pferd 2in1 can not do it.

That's pretty. Atop style guide or freehand?

Here's a training tool for anyone who wants to be a freehander- get the angle on the chain correct with a jig. Next time you freehand more than one stroke, color in the face of the tooth in between strokes. (I use a blue sharpie.) After a couple perfect licks with the file, you can easily see how 'perfect' those licks were. ;).

This trick is a bit more useful for blades than chains (chains color themselves, hopefully your blades don't), but it still applies.

I've been sharpening stuff by hand all my life, and it was comical how much better I thought I was than I actually was, once I started using a sharpie to check my work. ;)

Reactions: Jon1270
Wow you seem angry and I'll leave it at that.

The 2 box stores in my area that carry Husky saws have them all fitted with safety chain and it's not the Vanguard chain. Perhaps the saws on their shelves are old stock. Who knows. If your rancher came with vanguard chain stock then I believe you, but the models I've seen are not fitted with that chain.

I also know what's listed on a manufacturers website is not always accurate. This is especially true with Husky products. Atleast that's what I've noticed in my 25 years of buying saws.

I think I know what the internet is. C'mon man no need to go that low. But it's a free country say what you wish.

As for your Vanguard chain let us know what works for you. I'd be interested to know how it ends up. In all my years cutting I've actually come across people who have darn near ground their rakers off ! Don't know how that would work out wouldn't want to do that. But I can appreciate the extra pain in the ass it probably is with the rakers on that Vanguard chain. I like to touch my rakers up every 4 th or 5th filing so I'd be frustrated if I couldn't easily do that in the field. Especially when I've got trees to put on the ground not waste time with picky chain rakers.

Ahhh I digress......I'm off to google what the internet is , wait Google is the internet right ? Or is that Bing ? Ah gee I'm confused :) Back to waiting for my turkey to cook.

Happy thanksgiving all
Sorry Woodhog! My attempt at breaking balls clearly fell flat, guess I'm the one who needs some help with this internet thing. I still cannot get those chains cutting chips instead of sawdust, probably wasted at least half an hour last weekend in the effort.

I thought about it, but was afraid of the mocking that I would receive when you see the hack job I have done on both. :) I may reconsider and get the little lady to take a couple of shots with her phone when I get back from a work trip later this week.

Reactions: Jon1270
Status
Not open for further replies.