Grizzly Automatic fan question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phacops

Dec 10, 2012
Greetings all, newbie to this forum, and still a rookie with the woodstove. I'm sure I can come up with many questions, but here is the most pressing to our new country home...

Since it has gotten cold, I've been having fires. We have a grizzly insert. There is a 2 way toggle switch below the doors, and a 3 way rocker switch on the cord that runs to the outlet. From the beginning until this weekend, in the position we had the switches, the fans would turn on once the fire was hot enough, and turn off once it cooled. This has suddenly stopped, now the fans are either on or off in any combination of the switches.

Any ideas what is going on here? Has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks in advance!
Kevin

I have never been around a grizzly but I will take a shot. I would guess that the two way switch is the manual/automatic switch and the three way switch is the speed control. Concentrating on the two way switch. The position where the blower comes on with no heat would be manual. A few possibilities come to mind for not coming on in auto.
1. "snapstat" not attached correctly . You will have to trace the wires to find it and make sure it is making good contact.
2. "snapstat" is bad. if you find it heat it with a match and see if it comes on.
3. You are not getting it hot enough. I have seen quite a few units that have had what looked like a big fire but the heat was not in the right place and the blower would not come on. I have also seen some where ashes would build up and insulate the snapstat from the heat

Thanks, I'll research this a bit more.

Though, unless I'm really messing something up here, I think my problem is that the fan stays on the whole time now, where it used to click off when the fire cooled.

Status
Not open for further replies.