Ground fault receptacle kicking off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCweld

Feb 26, 2010
N.E. Pa.(Lackawanna Co.)
I have a Harman P68, at the end of last burning season it was working great, now when it goes to start feeding pellets
the GFCI receptacle kicks off. I am thinking a bad GFCI. Do you guys use GFCI or just surge suppressor.
Thanks

MCweld said:
I have a Harman P68, at the end of last burning season it was working great, now when it goes to start feeding pellets
the GFCI receptacle kicks off. I am thinking a bad GFCI. Do you guys use GFCI or just surge suppressor.
Thanks

I know Breckwell Techs told me that a GFCI was a "no-no" on their pellet stoves. Next time I talk to Harman I will ask.

Eric

Some GFI's are very sensitive to motors on the circuit. You could try a different brand of GFI. They're not very expensive. Of course, you may have a ground fault in your stove, maybe brought on by summer humidity. It might even go away as the air dries.

My Harman dealer asked me before the install if I had a ground fault receptacle....he said the stove would not like it. Fortunately I did not, just wanted to pass that information along.

We have the refrigerator on a non-GFI circuit because we don't want it to lose power without our knowledge.

I would consider putting a pellet stove on a non-GFI circuit for the same reason.

MCweld said:
Thanks

Why are you operating the stove on a GFCI?
is it in a damp or wet location (basement)

I don't know your local codes, but here in MA, I can substitute a single receptacle for a GFCI if a dedicated appliance is plugged in to it.
When I say single receptacle I mean just 1 outlet on it.

Attachments

• single outlet.jpg
    single outlet.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 392
Thanks for the help everyone.The stove is in a basement. I am going to try a Tripp Lite surge protector first.
I figure it is a good idea anyway. If that does not work I will have to isolate the stove outlet and take the GFCI
out of the picture.

I installed a gfci recepticle behind my Harman xxv. No real reason other than it just seemed better to me.
This is a new self-install I just finished.
So I should swap it out for a standard recepticle?--Any comments? Jerry.

GFI's are meant for wet or damp locations. Ie.. Kitchen, bath, outside, ect.. If it was me I would remove the GFI and replace it with a regular receptacle. They sometimes can trip for no reason.

A GFI is to protect a person from electrical shock. I would think that if your stove is properly grounded, there is little to no danger of anyone getting a shock from it. I have mine running through a surge suppressor, but not a GFI. Motors tend to trip some GFI's at random, so I don't use one. My stove is also properly grounded, so I feel safe with the electrical issues.

I thought a gfci had a broader function.
Thank's for the feedback.----Jerry.

FYI. I installed a QuadraFire Mt. Vernon in the living room. When I built this portion of the house it was to be a garage but during the build the plans changed and it became a 24'x24' Living room. When I plugged it in it tripped a GFCI. I moved it to another circuit and it is running fine for now but I am going to replace the outlet.

Eric

GFCI is reporting a electrical defect in the stove. Milliamps of current are flowing where no current should be flowing. It is reporting a potential human safety threat. No motorizied appliance, if properly constructed, will trip a GFCI. The GFCI is reporting AC current flowing where current should not be flowing.

westom said:
GFCI is reporting a electrical defect in the stove. Milliamps of current are flowing where no current should be flowing. It is reporting a potential human safety threat. No motorizied appliance, if properly constructed, will trip a GFCI. The GFCI is reporting AC current flowing where current should not be flowing.

This is 100% true, a GFCI measures the amount of current flowing out on the hot (black or red) wire and watching that the same amount of current is flowing back on the neutral (white) wire. Any deviation over 5ma or .005a trips the mechanism and shuts down the power.

Now this does not mean you don't have a bad GFCI...I replace them all th time because they go haywire!

Status
Not open for further replies.