Grout or caulk around new tiled hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OutdoorsBen

Nov 24, 2016
Mass
I just finished replacing my floor and putting atile hearth in. Since it meets wood on three sides does anyone have a suggestion to use caulk or grout. As we know the grout will crack with movement of the wood floor. I am hoping to minimize future maintenance. Any thoughts?

Post pics of your setup

I did grout with no sealant, but i have angle iron along the edge of the raised hearth.

We are at the same point with our stone hearth. my plan was to grout down to within 1/8" of the floor and then caulk to the floor to allow for movement. you probably have cleaner lines with tile than stones and smaller grout spaces. I don't know anything about the flexible grout but would be surprised to see them work as advertised. even if your on a concrete slab wood moves alot with humidity changes.

I have a black granite tile hearth with a pedestal. The edges are very defined. I framed it with three pieces of oak that matches the floor, with two 45 degree, mitered I guess you'd call it, joints. It wound up being so tight I didn't feel I needed a sealer. I did put some black caulk around the gap where it met the pedestal (a piece of sparky stuff might not be good getting in there.

When I did mine the manufacturer of the grout also had a color-matched caulk available. I bought one tube and put it along the joints that met the wall etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.