Grr...Got some wood, couldn't cut it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Neighbor had a HUGE oak taken down yesterday ($8100, and there's still about 50' standing!). Got them to deliver about 5 of those big limbs into my "back yard" (the opposite side of that alley, unfortunately I just don't have room to stack any more). They wouldn't take the $20 I offered them. Had hoped to C/S/S today. Went to start the chainsaw, no go. Went to fill with fresh gas--someone stole my gas can. Bought more gas, spark plug while I'm at it. Nope. OK, took off carb, air filter, disassembled/cleaned. Now it starts for 1/2 sec, then dies. OK, maybe I missed something. Took off carb again. Repeated maybe 3-4 times before I gave up and figured I needed a rebuild kit. Ordered one. Went down to give it one more try. Opened the gas tank to check the fuel filter. It was lying there, not connected to the hose, which was floating somewhere not in contact with gas. Aha! Went to reattach, fuel line split. Tried that a couple of times, but fuel line kept disintegrating. Boo. Have a new air filter, fuel filter, and fuel line in addition to the rebuild kit. Spent way too much time on this today, but hopefully will be running great by the weekend...
Figuring it's good for 1/2-3/4 cord at least, which will put me 3 years ahead (using what I used last winter), or at least 2+.

IMAG0435.jpg

Well that sounds pretty darn frustrating, but look on the bright side, you have a METRIC TON of free high quality firewood sitting in your backyard. I count that as a good day no matter what!

Yeah, the fact that it literally got plunked into my cutting area without any effort from me...I'm psyched. But for some reason I was really looking forward to splitting wood today.

Wow! If those are the limbs , is there any chance that you have pics of the tree itself ? It must be huge !

Neighbor had a HUGE oak taken down yesterday ($8100, and there's still about 50' standing!). Got them to deliver about 5 of those big limbs into my "back yard" (the opposite side of that alley, unfortunately I just don't have room to stack any more). They wouldn't take the $20 I offered them. Had hoped to C/S/S today. Went to start the chainsaw, no go. Went to fill with fresh gas--someone stole my gas can. Bought more gas, spark plug while I'm at it. Nope. OK, took off carb, air filter, disassembled/cleaned. Now it starts for 1/2 sec, then dies. OK, maybe I missed something. Took off carb again. Repeated maybe 3-4 times before I gave up and figured I needed a rebuild kit. Ordered one. Went down to give it one more try. Opened the gas tank to check the fuel filter. It was lying there, not connected to the hose, which was floating somewhere not in contact with gas. Aha! Went to reattach, fuel line split. Tried that a couple of times, but fuel line kept disintegrating. Boo. Have a new air filter, fuel filter, and fuel line in addition to the rebuild kit. Spent way too much time on this today, but hopefully will be running great by the weekend...
Figuring it's good for 1/2-3/4 cord at least, which will put me 3 years ahead (using what I used last winter), or at least 2+.

View attachment 70794

You sound like you have my luck with chainsaws... Nice load of wood and free makes it even sweeter.
With all I need to do, fall is going to have to be 2yrs long to get it all done...ha

Lots of folks are getting into pruning many of the big old trees.
After the wind storms took out power for weeks & poked some holes in roofs, probably a good idea.

Nice score, delivered to the yard. Now you're spoiled :)
Great picture, can't wait to see the trunk.

You are persistent & patient with the saw. Should run like new soon ;)

Nice scrounge. Sorry about the saw, I have a couple of saws that would love to get at that Oak.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
Ok, I'll ask a stupid question. All that wood in the picture you think is 1/2 or 3/4 of a cord? All that wood you think is less than a cord? Guess my eyeballs need some calibrating.

Free wood is great wood, especially delivered.

WOW that's a great score! I'm with Duran7 gotta be more than a cord there!

Yep, that's more than a cord to my eye.

Free wood has been scarce in these parts lately, but we are forecast for severe storms today so maybe that will change. Real nice to have it delivered!!

If it was me I know I'd ask them to leave the whole tree in the driveway. Nevermind I couldn't cut the big stuff with my saw, which runs almost as reliably as yours. Maybe having lots of big logs in the driveway for a year would teach me not to be greedy. Nah, it wouldn't.

Do I hear 3 cords? Hope the meter maid is your friend. That free wood could get pretty expensive if they enforce the no parking sign.==c For me that would be a pro saw and a week rental of a splitter.

$8100.00!?!?! WOW, maybe I ain't charging enough cutting trees! Seriously, are there any before, during, and after pics of the job? As for the wood, you won't be burning it anytime soon (being its oak, its gonna need a few years to season), but its a great score! And as for the saw, you can thank ethanol for your fuel line problems. Tygon is a good fuel line that is resistant to ethanol breakdown. Keep us posted on your progress.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Why oh why wouldn't you go for the rest of the tree? That easy, that close, that free? I would MAKE room for it. And Oak to boot.

Big wood makes bill piles, fast.

$8100.00!?!?! WOW, maybe I ain't charging enough cutting trees! .

I'm guessing the cost would have something to do with the Linkbelt crane in the background?
That looks like a decent size jib, add up the mob/demob fees with a few hundred an hour operating costs, must be one of those trees that's unaccessable for a loader.

I'm guessing the cost would have something to do with the Linkbelt crane in the background?
That looks like a decent size jib, add up the mob/demob fees with a few hundred an hour operating costs, must be one of those trees that's unaccessable for a loader.

I live in Richmond and that photo looks like where I live: lots of houses and power lines on top of each other. You either use a bucket truck and lower limbs by hand, one by one, or a crane. You dismantle trees here, not fell them.

Basod, I saw that link-belt in the background and I know what costs are associated with a dismantling a tree, I've done many of them that way. I was interested in seeing progressive pictures of the job, that kind of stuff interests me. I'm just now getting into rope climbing and will be doing some remote-cable dismemberment once I have the proper insurances next year.

Scotty - don't go getting that wife of yours all upset now. I hear that there is a living room in need of attention.;lol

Reactions: Realstone and ScotO
Great haul Mike

Ya gotta love having free wood dropped off at the house. I need to get around to replacing all my fuel lines too before I have a big problem.

Scotty - don't go getting that wife of yours all upset now. I hear that there is a living room in need of attention.;lol
You would be correct, Jags........and believe me, she's got her thumb down. Hard....

Ok, I'll ask a stupid question. All that wood in the picture you think is 1/2 or 3/4 of a cord? All that wood you think is less than a cord? Guess my eyeballs need some calibrating.

Free wood is great wood, especially delivered.

He said "Got them to deliver about 5 of those big limbs into my "back yard"". I don't think he's commenting on the size of the pile pictured.

Sweet score! Get it cut up, split and stacked. Then wait 3 years before you burn it. You won't be sorry.

This is not the first job I've seen at $8,000 +. Some are really tough when there is not much room to work. I'll bet those guys are happy you took the wood too.

Lots of folks are getting into pruning many of the big old trees.
After the wind storms took out power for weeks & poked some holes in roofs, probably a good idea.

Nice score, delivered to the yard. Now you're spoiled :)
Great picture, can't wait to see the trunk.

You are persistent & patient with the saw. Should run like new soon ;)
NO its NOT a good idea. Pruning limbs is a good idea, THAT is a TREE HACKER's job! NEVER should you prune more than a 1/3 of a live tree and under NO circumstances do you cut Main limbs back to nubs or leave a 50ft trunk to regrow.

Reason is it looks like Hell but more importantly those scars will rot then heal over and when new limbs grow there attached to a spot with a rotted anchor point, causeing failure if you dont cut them off once they get any weight to them.

Its safer to just take a few limbs out and then just prune the limbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.