Grrrr.....6 year old furnace broke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty perplexed that a 6 year old furnace, one I shopped for and picked, specifically because it was one of 2 models a the time that had all stainless primary and secondaries. Well, the rollout sensor starting tripping, too much heat over the burner, I'd reset, it'd be fine for a couple days, trip. I swapped the sensors, still tripped after a few runs. So I called the guy. 15 minutes after he gets here...yeah, you need a new secondary heat exchanger. WTF? I hardly used the thing too. Even he was scratching his head. "Never seen this on these models, ever". Well, it must be true, because nobody has the parts. Has to come direct from factory. Wednesday. THat's nice, 5 days with no furnace. Oh well, at least I've got wood heat and that thing is under warranty still. They're going to replace the burner, primary and secondary exchangers to ensure the problem gets fixed.

My stove can keep up fairly well above 10F. Below that, it's losing the battle in this 2400sqft house with 28' ceilings. Forecast here is low of -12F on sat night, high of 1 on sunday, low of -10 on sunday night. Awesome time for this to happen.
Well, I can run the furnace if I bypass the limit switch and supervise it, there's nothing but sheet metal up there, just a bit of flame blowback where it's not supposed to be....and it's definitely not burning right, but it's not a cracked exchanger or anything, just not burning efficiently, they actually can't surmise what may be wrong with it. I may run it in the morning for an hour to bring the house back to temp. Yes, of course I'll watch my carbon monoxide detector while doing so.

Furnaces used to last 30 years. WTH happened. The reason I replaced it in this house is because the 11 year Bryant that was in here when I bought the house had a solid block of rust for a secondary exchanger.

That does seem odd. Was it covered under warranty? I sold our high-efficiency propane furnace in 2006. It had about 12 years on it and still worked well. Burners and heat exchanger were good in spite of it being a condensing unit.

Yep, warranty job. Exchangers have a lifetime warranty. I might be in for a service call fee , and $80 for new burner (replacing that for good measure at my cost) ... but that should be about it. Temps' dropping, I've got my best 3 year seasoned oak in the house....lets hope she can keep up!

Status
Not open for further replies.