Grrrr...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
It's 7 degrees in the plant I work in. There's heaters, but no propane. There's gloves, but theyre all out. All I can think about is my leather Flexsteel recliner and a blanket next to my DW XL spewing out 500° smiles. Not to mention, we've been on 12 hour days 6 days a week. No Christmas bonus. No time off. Nothing.

Time to start looking for a new job.

7 degrees ! Holy cow. Meat processing plant? I'm getting cold just thinking about it.

It's 7 degrees in the plant I work in. There's heaters, but no propane. There's gloves, but theyre all out. All I can think about is my leather Flexsteel recliner and a blanket next to my DW XL spewing out 500° smiles. Not to mention, we've been on 12 hour days 6 days a week. No Christmas bonus. No time off. Nothing.

Time to start looking for a new job.
can we inquire as to what profession you are engaged in? meat processor or something.....birds eye/green giant packing plant. 07 degrees Fahrenheit is cold.

Unions? We don't need no stinkin' unions!

I'm a structural welder. I'm an indoor cat. I'm the guy that welds the stuff in the plant before it's hung.

It pisses me off to no end while the supervisor sits in his office "busy" with prints and parts.

Don't feel bad. In the last five years, I've had one Christmas bonus. Just dress for the temperature...there's a lot more jobs out there that have it worse! I couldn't imagine working in the oil fields with below zero temps and sustained winds!!!

I know for a fact...that the froth fields and oil fields are on monitored stays. How do I know this? I built the Kearl project for Keiwit Energy.

And dressing for the temp is all nice and everything, except when you're CAC cutting and you blow a smokin' hot ball of slag through your layers. Then thetes nothing you can do but wait.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
I have yet to ever get a Christmas bonus . . . or a Thanksgiving turkey . . . Christmas ham . . . etc. One of the "perks" of being a government employee I guess. At least it's a job . . . and I technically can retire after 25 years on the job . . . which is a definite bonus.

That said . . . I feel for ya KHL . . . of course it probably doesn't help when we get used to those nice, warm temps from our woodstoves either. On the other hand, perhaps it makes you appreciate it even more. Hopefully you guys will get some heat soon.

There is no inappropriate weather, just inappropriate clothing! PPE

If it where easy than everyone would be doing it!

7-9 degrees this morning. heading out to do PS pump in the driveway. my supervisors(shepherds) will be watching me through the windows.

Bonus: never liked the idea of receiving a routine bonus at Christmas. Do like cash but it ends up becoming expected and then turns into disappointment.

Although I really enjoyed giving a bonus when I had the opportunity. small business is easier/meaningful(owner to employee). cooperate with lack of policy is generally a supervisor begging to management to do something for his group and then they are overlooked when the bonuses are handed out.

firefighterjake: you get a bonus every time you jump in the shiny red truck! LOL missing the cold up there in Maine!

Last edited:
There is no inappropriate weather, just inappropriate clothing! PPE

If it where easy than everyone would be doing it!

7-9 degrees this morning. heading out to do PS pump in the driveway. my supervisors(shepherds) will be watching me through the windows.

Bonus: never liked the idea of receiving a routine bonus at Christmas. Do like cash but it ends up becoming expected and then turns into disappointment.

Although I really enjoyed giving a bonus when I had the opportunity. small business is easier/meaningful(owner to employee). cooperate with lack of policy is generally a supervisor begging to management to do something for his group and then they are overlooked when the bonuses are handed out.

firefighterjake: you get a bonus every time you jump in the shiny red truck! LOL missing the cold up there in Maine!

-13 this morning on my way into work . . . plenty of snow too. After two years of very little snow we're finally back to having a real Maine winter.

I don't ride in the shiny red truck all that much any more . . . my day job is fire safety education/inspections . . . far less glamorous . . . means I never get to save any kittens in trees or beautiful damsels in distress. ;)

well hopefully they give you a rig with a bubble gum machine on the roof.

well hopefully they give you a rig with a bubble gum machine on the roof.

I don't even get that . . . instead I get a worn out ex-cop cruiser . . . which looked OK until an engine company doing some ladder training on a windy day dropped a Bangor Ladder on to it putting a few creases in the trunk. Lately I've been driving the other inspector's vehicle -- a gray SUV -- since he is over in Afghanistan and it's much nicer.

I understand what you are saying and have done a lot of fab work on structural steel in an un-heated shop in the winter as well as erecting it out in the elements after the fab up. I will say this: I much prefer cold to hot!! You can always put more clothes on but never take enough off when it's 85 and humid!!

I understand what you are saying and have done a lot of fab work on structural steel in an un-heated shop in the winter as well as erecting it out in the elements after the fab up. I will say this: I much prefer cold to hot!! You can always put more clothes on but never take enough off when it's 85 and humid!!

You sure about that? :)

Attachments

• careys_mankini_180x224.jpg
    careys_mankini_180x224.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 130
Status
Not open for further replies.