1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Grundfos Comfort System

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by velvetfoot, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I just started reading about this system to get instant hot water at the tap.
    It involves recirculating hot water back to cold water lines via a valve under the sink at the furthest sink or sinks.
    It comes with a timer and you can also put a thermostat on it to save some more energy.
    Does anybody here have experience with this system.
    Even though our place isn't big, it still a pain to wait for the hot water to flow.

Here is a description here:
    http://www.schwartzplumbing.com/grundfos.html

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
    I looked into this briefly and you'll have to do some plumbing to connect the hot and cold water lines together if you are going for a "retrofit" to existing plumbing. This shouldn't be too hard if you can solder copper or do basic plumbing, but you'll also have to run 220v to the source or a gas line if your system is gas (i would think 220v would be easier and I think most of them are electric), to your bathroom/kitchen, or wherever you install this.

I was considering it but more pressing projects came up and I never bothered... What I've gotten used to is that I have a cat and I clean the liter box once a day, so after I do that, I will go into my bathroom, and wash my hands with the water from the hot water tap. Don't care if my hands are cold, then I'll brush my teeth and by that time, the water is hot already... problem solved! :) I guess I have the poor man's recirculator system. heck, you could collect the cold water and water plants or something... hahahaha..

Jay
  3. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    gas? 220v?
    You get a stainless steel flanged low hp recirc pump (they say 25 watts) that circulates water through a thermo valve under a sink that cross connects hot and cold water. I circulates the water and keeps the hot water warm.
  4. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
    Oh, oops, I'm combining two solutions... the recirc pump and tankless. I looked at pros and cons of both... Sorry, it was a long time ago (projects wise) so I think everything fused together...

When I did though, I did here good recommendations on Grundfos:

http://www.grundfos.com/Web/HomeUs.nsf/Webopslag/PAVA-53MKRN

Jay
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.