Grundfos Comfort System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I just started reading about this system to get instant hot water at the tap.
It involves recirculating hot water back to cold water lines via a valve under the sink at the furthest sink or sinks.
It comes with a timer and you can also put a thermostat on it to save some more energy.
Does anybody here have experience with this system.
Even though our place isn't big, it still a pain to wait for the hot water to flow.

Here is a description here:
http://www.schwartzplumbing.com/grundfos.html

I looked into this briefly and you'll have to do some plumbing to connect the hot and cold water lines together if you are going for a "retrofit" to existing plumbing. This shouldn't be too hard if you can solder copper or do basic plumbing, but you'll also have to run 220v to the source or a gas line if your system is gas (i would think 220v would be easier and I think most of them are electric), to your bathroom/kitchen, or wherever you install this.

I was considering it but more pressing projects came up and I never bothered... What I've gotten used to is that I have a cat and I clean the liter box once a day, so after I do that, I will go into my bathroom, and wash my hands with the water from the hot water tap. Don't care if my hands are cold, then I'll brush my teeth and by that time, the water is hot already... problem solved! :) I guess I have the poor man's recirculator system. heck, you could collect the cold water and water plants or something... hahahaha..

Jay

gas? 220v?
You get a stainless steel flanged low hp recirc pump (they say 25 watts) that circulates water through a thermo valve under a sink that cross connects hot and cold water. I circulates the water and keeps the hot water warm.

Oh, oops, I'm combining two solutions... the recirc pump and tankless. I looked at pros and cons of both... Sorry, it was a long time ago (projects wise) so I think everything fused together...

When I did though, I did here good recommendations on Grundfos:

http://www.grundfos.com/Web/HomeUs.nsf/Webopslag/PAVA-53MKRN

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.