Guarding My Woodpile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About 10 years ago the insulated blanket around the water heater needed attention so the wife said we should replace it. As a I got a grip on the old one and started to remove it about 10 or more milk snakes came scurrying out of it...so we backed off it for a few days. They must have suspected we'd be back cause they all took off for parts unknown.

found the same thing under my covered pile yesterday - he's welcome to stay

I was grabbing some wood off my pile for a friend who was camping and a copper head was under a piece I was moving (in the summer I pull it off with a hoe so I am 6' or so away if kind of thing happens, and with the hoe I have a weapon in my hand), so I chopped the crap out of him. I try and leave the black snakes alone, but truthfully, to only good snake that I see - is a dead snake.

I've got chipmunks in my wood pile . . . which I don't really mind . . . in fact I kind of enjoy watching them . . . although I think my cats enjoy watching them and playing with them more than me . . . unfortunately.

'My' snake moved over to my neighbor's vegetable garden. Think he is probably patrolling both places. Share and share alike. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.