Guess I Just Scrounged

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Neighbor down the road called yesterday. He was having a big red oak taken down in back of his house. Said the guy wanted five hundred to drop the tree in sections and asked if he wanted them to do the removal. He told the guy to buck the trunk and limbs in 16" rounds and he would take care of removal.

Took me three hours this morning to load and haul those 36 heavy suckers up the hill in five or six loads. It caught me by surprise because I dropped five size extra large dead oaks Saturday and Sunday and was going to goof off and do some other stuff for a few days before I messed with trees in this heat and humidity again. The run for the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 stacks has begun. I do believe these will be the last ones I drop, chop and lug up the hill. Might be a different story if I could get loads of logs just dropped in the yard like I see here in the pics and posts.

Get'in entirely too old for this stuff. I see a high efficiency heat pump and a tax credit in my future. My retirement present. :cheese:

I scrounge, therefore I am ?

;-)

Pics BB?

You of all people know pics or it didn't happen! ;-)

ilikewood said:

They are just long tall trees laying on the ground in the woods. They grow tall here because this place was logged just shy of a hundred years ago. Since everything started renewing at once they have fought for light and headed for the sky all that time. Canopy like a jungle since all limbs are fifty feet or higher on the trees.

Just after I typed the first post I was sitting here reading the news and heard what sounded like a bomb going off. One seventy or eighty footer was my only hang-up this week-end that I didn't have the guts to do what needed to be done to get it on the ground. Cut down the one it was leaning on. That is suicide. I had already had to do that with one and didn't have the guts left to do it again. So I put that off till next week. :red: When I heard the impact it could only be one thing. Five or so thousand pounds of wet red oak hitting the ground. Went down and yep, the limb holding it finally broke off so all of them are on the ground. The easy part is done. :roll:

I hate those. After dropping 40 or so full size maples this spring with a 9 ton backhoe, I'm not sure I care to ever drop them with a chainsaw again. Dig the roots on three sides, hinges perfectly on the 4th no matter where the weight of the tree is. Push it over with the hoe. Top the tree, pick the root ball up with the bucket and drag the tree out to the landing. Too bad I had to give the hoe back...

SolarAndWood said:
I hate those. After dropping 40 or so full size maples this spring with a 9 ton backhoe, I'm not sure I care to ever drop them with a chainsaw again. Dig the roots on three sides, hinges perfectly on the 4th no matter where the weight of the tree is. Push it over with the hoe. Top the tree, pick the root ball up with the bucket and drag the tree out to the landing. Too bad I had to give the hoe back...

Now that sounds like fun. :snake:

The kicker is I got paid to do it and the cab was air conditioned. Equipment operators have the life.

BrotherBart said:
Get'in entirely too old for this stuff. I see a high efficiency heat pump and a tax credit in my future. My retirement present. :cheese:
You're only as old as you feel. Me? I'm 28 but tonight I feel like an 80 year old!

Holy cow BB it has to be hotter than blazed down in VA this time of year. Anyone else use a sweatband when the process wood...keeps you cooler and the salt out of your eyes. I'm continuously swapping out 3 or 4 in weather like this.

BB, be very careful or your wood pile will be bigger than mine! No heat pump in your future yet.

Jags said:
Heat pump in VA?? I thought that was for old retired guys - oh yeah, I forgot. ;-P

And old tired guys too. I have always wondered about that word "retired". Kinda implies that you were tired before and now you are doing it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.