Guess it's time to get ready?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to get ready for fall 2017, or 2018, maybe. Hope you're already done with rounds for this year!

Reactions: Scooter422
I've been ready for a while, I just think it's funny that everyone is splitting sopping wet rounds to burn in 3 months. It's like clockwork at the end of every summer , trucks and chainsaws running like wild

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Surprised they're splitting them now! Some don't do it till its ready to go in the stove! Heck before I learned/heard of this "3 year plan" I still knew with common sense it at least needed to be cut in the early, early spring. That's what we did as kids to help out my grandparents! And that was before picky EPA stoves! Knowing what I know now I don't even know how the 8 month wood burned decent. They had a boiler with a combustion blower on it though so I suppose that helped.

I've been ready for a while, I just think it's funny that everyone is splitting sopping wet rounds to burn in 3 months. It's like clockwork at the end of every summer , trucks and chainsaws running like wild
Right, I'm trying to educate a buddy at work that said to me "split and stacked by Easter, ready to burn in the fall". Not. He has a buddy he works for on the side that has a clearing business and he has access to all the wood he wants. I recommended he come here and learn. Haven't seen him here yet...

I got 3 loads this weekend but none will be burned for at least 2 years. Just trying to stay ahead and add to my pile.

We're splitting on cloudy cool days, but for the following season. The woodshed was packed with this season's wood in March. It is nice and dry.

I'm clearing a building lot in exchange for the wood. 50' X 300' mostly var(balsam fir) and tamarack. I cut my rounds to 11" and split pretty small so Id say it'll be ok to burn this winter.

I have tons of wood ready for winter but I sell some bagged wood to people for their shed wood stoves in the winter and for when the power goes out...and it will go out.

Last edited:
Right, I'm trying to educate a buddy at work that said to me "split and stacked by Easter, ready to burn in the fall".

I actually do get away with this "formula", BUT my rounds have been laying around for over a year getting somewhat dry before they are split, and I store my wood in my garage which gets like a kiln, and will suck the moisture out of ME if I stay in there too long! I was just out there awhile ago looking at the wood, it's checked like mad, bark peeling off, ready to go and we still have weeks of hot drying weather. But that is a unique situation.

To the original poster, I see this all the time, people getting ready now which they think is "early", and they're nuts. I used to sell some wood to a friend of the family and also to one of my neighbors; I stopped doing that as I just don't have the time to deal with it anymore, but I told BOTH of them many months ago to get wood from a company that I recommended, to get it EARLY, stack it and don't get Oak as it'll never be dry in time. You guessed it, neither one followed my advice, they'll probably both buy wood from this outfit in October and be hugely disappointed.

You either get it or you don't, I guess......

Reactions: D8Chumley
"split and stacked by Easter, ready to burn in the fall"
Depending on the species and if it is split small and stacked right in a good location it works fine that way. I do it every year and i am always below 20%with almost everything

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Guess I am ahead of the game.......
Splittin and stacking now for 17/18 :p

I have been splitting some pine this summer and it dries, or at least loses weight, really fast. I don't plan to burn it this winter, but I wonder if I could.

It might work in an old stove that gets more air and blows smoke up the stack anyway, but not good for modern stoves. I've tried that and gotten away with it with doug fir and alder, split small, but not with 6+" splits. With madrona and locust, no way.

Nah - still lots of time yet, it's only August.

(Some would say....)

Yup, too hot out there right now.:) I'm way ahead of the game, all I need to do is look at my wood pile and shed until next spring if I want. I'll cut some of next years wood this fall, and during the winter. I go by the one year plan haha, this peasant poplar doesn't take long to season at all.

Checked my wood from last year. It's 14% on the outside, split some,& they were 18% - 20% on the inside. Same story with what I purchased this past Spring.
The wood my friend found for me is 20% on the outside and 23%-25% on the inside. Looking good for next year.
Told the wifey that if anyone offers us free wood, we are taking it.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.