Guess my wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to try to sell some of the staves as bow wood you need to treat the wood correctly. The ends need to be sealed to prevent checking, I use Elmers wood glue. This slows down the drying process. Store the staves laying down flat, don't stand them in a corner. Also the longer the wood drys typically the better the bow. I have a couple staves I cut down in 1998 up in the attic this winter I will be making a new bow. A nice piece of hickory doesn't make a bad bow either.

No not me.
But I am very involved in traditional archery and enjoy making my own equipment. I am actually leaving tomorrow night to hunt in Iowa for a week.

Osage has a lot of branches coming out of the trunk in strange places usually. For a straight piece to be good enough for a stave, does it need to be knot free?

Status
Not open for further replies.