Guess this tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StihlKicking

Feeling the Heat
Jan 12, 2016
Hatchie Bottom, MS
I know what this tree is but have never seen the grain when cut long ways. I wanted to see if anyone could guess what it is. be6cbbdbed31c0e79305bbfb55fd78f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pic of the bark please.

f v

Walnut?

Beautiful looking wood. We had a maple that had a dark core like that. It was so beautiful that I had some bowls made from some nice sections.

Red Oak.

It's in the red oak family. It's the biggest example of this species I've seen. It was around 4' at the stump and about 70' high. The log in the picture is just a branch that measured about 2' across.

Pin oak

Not seeing that name in the book...is that a local name? Got any leaf pics?

be4d178118ca2b2a0569c4a56bbbdc80.jpg
This is a picture from google but they are the same as the leaves on the tree I cut. Sawtooth oak Quercus acutissima in native to parts of Asia but it is widely planted for wildlife applications down here. They will produce acorns at 2 years of age.

Maybe your book is a "Native tree" book?

Audubon Field Guide to North American Trees (Eastern Region) but it also includes some trees that were introduced from overseas.

Audubon Field Guide to North American Trees (Eastern Region) but it also includes some trees that were introduced from overseas.

Try this one033ccf077bc217b9e0987ebd89a16f61.jpg
It's one of the best tree books I know of.
I have lots of field guides including, lots of Audubon books.332db6ea006c90fefb34d0b9b4b64412.jpgbc20a405df34c299adffecc4ee58e5be.jpg
I find the Audubon books to be amongst the worst when it actually comes to using them in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.