guidance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's a chimney supply in your area, it'll probably be cheaper than a hearth shop.
Perfect. I'll see if I can track one down in my area. That was exactly what I was experiencing - hearth shop prices seemed a bit steep.

Reactions: DAKSY
Well, I've managed to get the stove back to my house without incident. Over the next few days I have a lot of information to digest to ensure that I move forward in the correct manner.

First off, since our basement is not finished, and may not be for awhile, my wife would prefer we put the stove upstairs instead because we'll be more apt to use it. I don't disagree with her, but it does make it a more difficult install. And leaves us with an eventual need for a heat source in the basement.

So for now, I'm digging around to learn more about some of the different pieces I need to put in place before I can hook the stove up. Any input anyone here can provide to steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the items I'm pondering:
1. Do I need a permit in my municipality to install vent piping?

2. The stove came with a 45° direct vent pipe fitting. Can I go straight out the wall or do I need a snorkel to do that? Otherwise I'll need to go up and out the wall. I'm not clear on the required H and V pipe dimensions shown in the manual.

3. I'm seeing contradictory information online for clearances from interior walls to the stove, and also exterior clearances from the vent termination to the gas meter (3 ft?) and heat pump/air conditioning compressor (3 ft horizontal, 3 ft vertical within 10 ft of compressor?).

4. I have a gas meter but no gas line into my house yet. I need to find instructions to walk me through installation of the gas line into my house and the connection to the stove.

5. Ideas for building an economical, yet attractive hearth pad.

Thanks for an insight you can offer.

Last edited:
For permit, contact your local code enforcer. For most of New York State, if you are installing a gas heater, running a vent and hooking up a gas line, etc, you need a permit. Not sure what happens in PA

For venting, all of that should be clearly defined in the owners manual. I guess I'll DL it and take a look, same with clearances.

I don't know ANYONE who is going to walk someone thru running a gas line. Please, at least for this part, get a licensed plumber or wait until you can afford one.

For a hearth, whats your price limit?

I recommend going up inside the room, then out
alot cheaper than a snorkel

if i recall correctly you need 24" rise on LPG

Definitely agree with Fsappo, gas line is no joke

I apologize for exhausting everyone with my questions. I have spent a great deal of time outside of this forum researching answers for my questions as well. But the expertise of the people on this forum is invaluable. And I was looking for input from all of you to ensure I was heading the right direction.

I should have worded my questions differently. My lack of understanding lies more in the finer details of the installation work that needs performed. But I was seeking confirmation of some of the general information I had found because it seemed conflicting or unclear.

I'll try to be more specific.

Clip 62 (attached) shows "H" and "V" dimensions for the direct vent pipes. But I could not find a table in the manual with these values listed for a horizontal venting installation. There are written instructions for a horizontal venting installation earlier in the manual using a 2' vertical and adjustable 11"-14" horizontal pipe, but am I limited to that?

Clip 60 (attached) shows clearances from surrounding walls to the Santa Fe stove. These are much closer than some other stoves I had looked at. Particularly 1" from the edge of the vent pipe to the wall. I also found a clearance on inspectapedia.com (http://inspectapedia.com/chimneys/Direct_Vent_Chimneys.php) that said the distance from the vent termination to an interior wall should be 3'. If I follow that I will need more than 4" from the edge of the stove to the side wall. Hence my confusion.

Clip 61 (attached) shows the vent termination clearance "K" to be 3' from a mechanical air supply inlet (compressor), inspectapedia says it should be 3' above if within 10' of mechanical air supply inlet. Also in Clip 61, clearance "H" says the vent termination is not to be installed above the gas meter assembly within 3' horizontally of the centerline. Inspectapedia.com has a different clearance.

Clarity on these clearances is imperative for me to determine where I can locate the stove inside my house. I can't move forward until I establish this.

Attachments

• Clip_060.jpg
    Clip_060.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 255
  • Clip_061.jpg
    Clip_061.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 276
  • Clip_062.jpg
    Clip_062.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 225
From page 11 in the manual: Minimum horizontal run is 9”.

1" is the correct clearance to DV pipe on the sides & below. 2" is clearance ABOVE a horizontal run.

Your building inspector will be guided by the criteria in the install manual.
Most of the ones I've dealt with have no background in DV installs, so they HAVE to use the manual.

Your statement about the "Vent termination to an INTERIOR wall" is confusing. The vent termination is OUTSIDE the house.
The thickness of the wall determines the clearance. Nobody has 3' walls unless they're living in an igloo.

Your building iinspector (AHJ) will have to make the call on the mechanical vent clearance...

From page 11 in the manual: Minimum horizontal run is 9”.

I've attached pg. 11 from my manual. I've read over it 3 times but I don't see where it mentions the minimum horizontal run of 9". Maybe I have a different manual than you?

In Clip 62 from my last post, there are "H" and "V" values. I had expected to find a table somewhere that specified, for instance, if your vertical pipe ("V") is 3' then your horizontal pipe ("H") should be X feet and so on. Is the Hearthstone Santa Fe limited to a 2' vertical pipe or can I use a 3' or 4' vertical pipe? And if so, does the length of the horizontal pipe change as the vertical length increases?
Your statement about the "Vent termination to an INTERIOR wall" is confusing. The vent termination is OUTSIDE the house.
The thickness of the wall determines the clearance. Nobody has 3' walls unless they're living in an igloo.

Please understand - that is not my statement. It is taken directly from the inspectapedia.com link I posted. I agree it is confusing. I thought it might be trying to say that the pipe penetration through the wall that leads to the vent cap should be 3' clear of interior walls. Yet my manual shows 4" + half the stove width (12.5") for the clearance between the DV piping to an interior wall.

I suppose my next step will be to consult my local code enforcement officer to inquire about clearances so I can establish what options I have for stove placement inside my home.

Attachments

• Clip_063.jpg
    Clip_063.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 272
In case anyone is interested, I finally completed this project. The gas still has to be turned on and fine tuning to the stove operation will need performed yet. But the gas line is installed, the hearth pad built and the direct vent piping is together and connected through an exterior wall to the vent termination. I've included some photos. Thanks to all for their help and advice.
20150404_160745.jpg 20150502_154245.jpg 20150502_154309.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.