Guidance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

north71

Nov 19, 2010
michigan
Good Afternoon We are considering a wood stove and would appreciate any information on stove size vs house size. Our house is 820 sq ft built 1923 blown insulation in walls rolled fiberglass in attic eight foot ceilings living room 19x11 dining room and kitchen 21x9 open 4'x6'9" opening joining living room to dining and kitchen one bedroom off dining room one off living room bath around corner of kitchen.We are considering after ruling out others because of small firebox the jotul f 400 Our wood is all 15" to16" f 3 looks very difficult to load with wood on hand looking to heat 24/7 with wood under 35 or so degrees daytime temp flue height 15' can this stove be controlled in this enviroment Thank You North71

Just checking. 820 sq. ft. ?

A Jotul or other radiant stove may be a bit intense in a house like that (ours is 1926, and same size / similar layout). A convection stove such as the PE T5 or Spectrum (I think is the same size in steel?), etc., with a blower might serve you better; gives you a bigger firebox but doesn't require a wave of furnacelike heat every time you load it.

Woodstock Keystone or Palladian would be a good fit. Smaller stove with long overnight burns you will want for 24/7 burning. The soapstone wil be a less intense heat than steel or cast.

Yes the square footage is 820 I was worried about heat intensity from the jotul having used a # 3 in our small cabin when I was younger :long: someone open the windows please We like the look and quality of the jotul Thank You both for your replys north 71

Small houses are a bit of a tough fit. I agree with the suggestion for the smaller Woodstock stove and for the smaller Pacific Energy Alderlea series T4 or T5 which have good close clearances. Another hybrid to look at would be the Quadrafire Yosemite and Cumberland Gap.

north71 said:
In responce to woodstock stoves They look very nice My only concern is 30" clearance from back of stove

You can go down to 14ish inches with a factory heat shield and stove pipe shield. My Keystone install is this way - with top vent going up and turning 90 degrees into a masonary chimney.

Another thing to consider is how large your hearth pad needs to be. I'm not near my stove at the moment, but I think the Keystone requires 8 inches around the 3 non door sides and 18 inches on the door side. This is what I did with mine to minimize the hearth pad footprint on an already small house.

I also think you can go closer than 14 inches with a wall heat shield and double wall flue pipe on the Keystone. Check out Woodstock's website as the have a WEALTH of info on their stoves, the installation, clearances (with tables showing different options) and just great wood burning info in general - plus, don't hesitate to give them a call with questions as they have super customer service.

Good luck,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.