Guilty or Innocent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tchdngrnby

Oct 7, 2009
Puget Sound Washington
Who has not changed the batteries in their CO and smoke alarms?

They were changed when we set the clocks back in October.

As soon as they start to CHIRP %-P

ummm, plead the 5th :roll:

I change mine at daylight savings clock changes. I also change the batteries in the programmable t-stat at the same time. Any battery power clock get them too!

I also don't bother with the cheap batteries. I put the good stuff in the smoke detectors anyway.

jtakeman said:
I change mine at daylight savings clock changes. I also change the batteries in the programmable t-stat at the same time. Any battery power clock get them too!

I also don't bother with the cheap batteries. I put the good stuff in the smoke detectors anyway.

Ditto. A life is worth much more than the cost of a few batteries.

News years Day is my change the smoke detector batteries day.

I use all rechargeable batteries. So I just rotate fresh sets at each time change, or on the first chirp.

ZERO batteries go in the landfill. Huge cost savings is a bonus.

Functioning smoke detectors are an absolute must!

Change your clock, change your battery, that's the rule around here. How about changing the alarms out altogether? Last I knew they were good for 10 years....................

Mine have a voice recording that announces every 1/2 hour when the batteries get low, and also chirps every 60 seconds.....hard to ignore for long. Just did the one in the kitchen last week.

I wait for the chirps but I do test them very often when I want to test the response time of my two teenage daughters. Evil laugh ensues.....

Mine all talk to each other so when one gets its britches in a knot they all let me know about it. You don't ignore such a sounding off (there are five of them). In addition the batteries only get used if the 'tricity is out. So I get close to full shelf life from them.

jtakeman said:

Daylight saving time is too long now, I do first day of fall, first day of spring. 6 months at a time.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Mine all talk to each other so when one gets its britches in a knot they all let me know about it. You don't ignore such a sounding off (there are five of them). In addition the batteries only get used if the 'tricity is out. So I get close to full shelf life from them.

I just put in the "battery backup" type about 9 months ago and added CO. Before that they were hard-wired only (house is about 16 years old and the old ones were same age). The new ones do talk to each other too when they go off and run house elect power. Since I have only 3, I guess it's best to change em all out.

My girlfriend had something like 12-13 in her previous house (Kittery, ME code required them everywhere !!!!). One night I called and she was going nuts because they all were chirping. She and one of her daughters finally had to remove all the batteries and replace them the next day because she could not figure out which one (or more) were bad. She was not a happy camper.

Does it make me a bad person for laughing my butt off?

That's our 'Christmas present' to each other. Everything gets new batteries.

Uhmmmm.... well.... uhhmmm... crap. I have the direct wired to 110 type, but I never test them. Do I get partial points?

The backup battery must also be exchanged. As we learn the hard way,
we will occasionally loose power when we least expect it.

An inoperative smoke detector is totally useless in saving lives!

Funny - I was just thinking that I need to change all of my batteries.

I have two strategically placed units up and running. The rest have low or no batteries. I'm going to fix all but one tomorrow. The last one is on a vaulted ceiling and I can't reach it with a ten foot ladder...

Estarrio said:
Funny - I was just thinking that I need to change all of my batteries.

I have two strategically placed units up and running. The rest have low or no batteries. I'm going to fix all but one tomorrow. The last one is on a vaulted ceiling and I can't reach it with a ten foot ladder...

I use a 12 foot A frame ladder for my 14 foot ceiling.

An inoperative detector of any kind is useless! And false safety confidence.

The ladder comes in real handy for other work, outside too.

In total, very cheap insurance.

All of mine (17 of 'em) are 110v w/ battery back up so no real safety issues there, but I change annually regardless

gbreda said:
My girlfriend had something like 12-13 in her previous house (Kittery, ME code required them everywhere !!!!). One night I called and she was going nuts because they all were chirping. She and one of her daughters finally had to remove all the batteries and replace them the next day because she could not figure out which one (or more) were bad. She was not a happy camper.

Does it make me a bad person for laughing my butt off?

The clincher on the ones that talk to each outer is that it makes no difference where the one with the low battery is, they all are going to scream, you can't get away from them.

Of course that makes you a (very) bad person for laughing your butt off, remember next time she could be the one laughing at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.