1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Gutter cleaning

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by johnsopi, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnsopi

    johnsopi Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    Messages:
    651
    Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    Is there any good product that you can clean your gutter from the ground? My higheast gutters are 28ft from ground level. I have been paying Randy's gutter 70$ to clean. Doeas a good job but would like to do mine a few times a year.

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





  2. Hogwildz

    Hogwildz Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2006
    Messages:
    6,714
    Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    There used to be a hook type hose extension, you connect to your hose, the it slides to extend at desired lengths. Kind of pressure washes the gutter from on the ground operation.
    Forget where I saw it though. Try a search.
    Or, just get a 32' ladder and set her up and have at it. Take a bungie cord with ya and strp the ladder to the gutter spike/hanger if your nervous of it sliding.
  3. d.n.f.

    d.n.f. New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2007
    Messages:
    504
    Loc:
    Nelson BC
    They make these aluminum 'covers' for your eavestrough. They keep out all the small stuff but still allow water to flow. Also keep ice dams out of the gutters.
    No idea how much they cost or what they cost. Saw it on some home improvement show.

    I use that cheapo plastic stuff. Keeps out 80% of the leaves. Pain in the butt to clean the other 20%. But now I only have to do it once a year and not three times.
  4. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

    Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    May 27, 2008
    Messages:
    4,862
    Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Working on taking my gutters off.

    Way to many oak trees.

    It's not worth it to me. To many ice back ups with cleaned gutters, etc.

    Drainage isn't an issue, so I figure better to take 'em off.
  5. EatenByLimestone

    EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2006
    Messages:
    4,809
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    If you do end up doing it yourself a plastic spatula is the bomb for cleaning them easily.

    Matt
  6. Jay H

    Jay H New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2006
    Messages:
    659
    Loc:
    NJ
    I have read a lot of negative reviews on these, you have to have the perfect shaped gutters for the above to work and all and it gets snagged on a lot of the hangers on gutters... I'd do some research on these if they interest you, or buy it from a place with a good return policy.

    I'm lucky as I live in a ranch with easy access to the roof. I can use a basic stepladder in the back and the front I use a extension ladder in it's lowest setting. I can do my gutters in like 15 minutes! Sometimes I'll use my electric air blower to get the corners which are farther than I can reach easily though.

    Jay
  7. savageactor7

    savageactor7 Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    Messages:
    3,700
    Loc:
    CNY
    My aunt has those metal ones and they work great. Gutters are great for re directing water out of your cellar sure they're a pain to clean the leaves out of them...but water in the basement can be a bigger problem.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page