Gutter cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Is there any good product that you can clean your gutter from the ground? My higheast gutters are 28ft from ground level. I have been paying Randy's gutter 70$ to clean. Doeas a good job but would like to do mine a few times a year.

There used to be a hook type hose extension, you connect to your hose, the it slides to extend at desired lengths. Kind of pressure washes the gutter from on the ground operation.
Forget where I saw it though. Try a search.
Or, just get a 32' ladder and set her up and have at it. Take a bungie cord with ya and strp the ladder to the gutter spike/hanger if your nervous of it sliding.

They make these aluminum 'covers' for your eavestrough. They keep out all the small stuff but still allow water to flow. Also keep ice dams out of the gutters.
No idea how much they cost or what they cost. Saw it on some home improvement show.

I use that cheapo plastic stuff. Keeps out 80% of the leaves. Pain in the butt to clean the other 20%. But now I only have to do it once a year and not three times.

Working on taking my gutters off.

Way to many oak trees.

It's not worth it to me. To many ice back ups with cleaned gutters, etc.

Drainage isn't an issue, so I figure better to take 'em off.

If you do end up doing it yourself a plastic spatula is the bomb for cleaning them easily.

Matt

Deffy said:
I-Robot maker of the roomba has a robotic gutter cleaner called the Looj.
no i have not tried it, but its on my list of toys to get. heres the site http://store.irobot.com/category/in...04605&ab=CMS_StoreHome_Gifts_Roomba400_112008

I have read a lot of negative reviews on these, you have to have the perfect shaped gutters for the above to work and all and it gets snagged on a lot of the hangers on gutters... I'd do some research on these if they interest you, or buy it from a place with a good return policy.

I'm lucky as I live in a ranch with easy access to the roof. I can use a basic stepladder in the back and the front I use a extension ladder in it's lowest setting. I can do my gutters in like 15 minutes! Sometimes I'll use my electric air blower to get the corners which are farther than I can reach easily though.

Jay

d.n.f. said:
They make these aluminum 'covers' for your eavestrough. They keep out all the small stuff but still allow water to flow. Also keep ice dams out of the gutters.
No idea how much they cost or what they cost. Saw it on some home improvement show.

My aunt has those metal ones and they work great. Gutters are great for re directing water out of your cellar sure they're a pain to clean the leaves out of them...but water in the basement can be a bigger problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.