Gutter covers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on gutter covers, great, bad, they all suck? We are at the point where we don't climb ladders well and the gutters seem to get clogged just before each storm. I think that we are going to go with a cover or tearing them all off. Rather have them, but overflowing down the side wall isn't good.

I live in the forest. I've tried Aluminum and Plastic with different hole patterns and meshes They all had problems from holding to many things to freezing up so much that the weight of the ice ripped the gutters off the house.
Then I found a product called Gutter Clear 365 at Costco. Have had them on my house for 5 years. The only problem is on one side of the house where there is a pine tree next to the house, I have to clear the top surface every couple of years from build-up of needles. The needles don't stop it from draining but I don't want them breaking down and clogging them over time.
I've found other brands at the big box stores that are about the same and are a bit less expensive. Maybe this will help.

great, thank you. that style was what I was talking about. I have seen them before but never new anyone that used them and didn't want to buy and switch what I had if I was going to get the same results.

We had ours done when we did windows, siding, gutters and leaders, and used a gutter cap close to Leaf Solution with the difference being we have two entry points for water, not three( http://www.leafsolution.com/leaf-solution ). They seem to do there job by keeping everything cleared, but the issue we have is in the winter they get a coating of ice over them, and as the snow melts, all the water drips off the gutter tops causing icing on our deck, and front stoop....the only solution I find is to continuously rake the snow off the first two feet of the roof, and the gutter tops....a lot easier than clearing the gutters a few times a year, but still a PITA.....not maintenance free.

We had ours done when we did windows, siding, gutters and leaders, and used a gutter cap close to Leaf Solution with the difference being we have two entry points for water, not three( http://www.leafsolution.com/leaf-solution ). They seem to do there job by keeping everything cleared, but the issue we have is in the winter they get a coating of ice over them, and as the snow melts, all the water drips off the gutter tops causing icing on our deck, and front stoop....the only solution I find is to continuously rake the snow off the first two feet of the roof, and the gutter tops....a lot easier than clearing the gutters a few times a year, but still a PITA.....not maintenance free.
Where we are, clean gutters without covers fill with snow and ice and behave like yours do with the covers. Only difference is that we don't have to clean the gutters twice a year (or more).

Reactions: Beer Belly
Status
Not open for further replies.