Guy pulls in my driveway, wants to buy wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
This AM a guy pulled in the driveway wanting to buy my wood. He saw the seasoning stack out back.
Told him, not for sale & it's not ready to burn this year any way.
WELL: He huffed up:
"I'm from Oregon, I was a logger there. You don't need to season wood for 1 or 2 years for it to burn"
I said," I know, but my new EPA catalytic stove does" "I need that wood in 2 years, so it's not for sale"

After he left,
My next thought was, do I need to camouflage the wood stack :eek:

Maybe I should've given him the "hearth.com/" forum site ;)
Let Dennis straighten him out LOL :)

You sure should. You have a lot of shady and sneaky people

Yea, with an attitude like his, I'd be worried about my wood, too. At least he asked, others have reported missing wood.

I can easily picture that Dave. ;lol Wish I had been there.

Reactions: corey21 and ScotO
Do you think he is a first year alaskan? Waiting until November to acquire wood in that climate is crazy.

I'd keep an eye out just to be on the safe side. People think its ok to steal , and that theres no accountability for there actions. Of course are g'vnt doesn't
help by not enforcing laws.

I have had a couple people stop and ask me also.

The one guy said "Its pretty obvious you sell wood. So why dont you have a sign out?".

I told him, because I dont sell wood. He thought I had 10 yrs worth of wood. It was obvious that he only bought wood when he ran out and never seen what an entire yrs worth of wood looks like. Poor sap :)

Having LotsofWood is Money in the Bank.

(Disclaimer: I do sell a couple cord a yr to Family/Selling really isn't the word I should use either :( More like give)

I'm just curious why he thinks being from Oregon and a logger makes him an expert on wood "seasoning" times?
I know how to make pb&j sammiches, but that doesn't mean I know how to make pb or j.
Ya' ever get the urge to just rear back and smack someone?
Play this for him if he comes back.

Logger from Orygun? Likely has a rather low IQ in my experience of living here. Ask him if he can sit in a chair and lift himself up by his own bootstraps.

Likely he has a smoke dragon stove and will burn wood he cut this spring and dried this summer. I see a lot of that type of burning here. Lots of smoke here, which is why they are forcing people to replace their stoves with EPA ones. Of course, they will still burn under-dried wood and defeat the purpose of the laws, so they will come up with EPA-III/WA approved stoves requirements, and they will still burn green wood in them, which will eventually lead to cat stoves being required, or banning wood burning altogether.

But of course, why do you have an EPA/cat stove in Alaska? You could just burn one year seasoned wood... waiving my Stihl chainsaws under the computer screen here, "I am from Oregon, and yadda yadda yadda..."

This is why I enjoy living '800 from the road behind a line of evergreens:cool:.

Maybe I should've given him the "hearth.com/" forum site ;)
Let Dennis straighten him out LOL :)

If he's anything like a few of my neighbors who burn OWB's it wouldn't do any good Dave. They cut on a as needed basis, wood is never covered but man can they send up some smoke! :confused:

I understand that some years back, before I moved here to Oregon, there was a statewide purge of undesirables based on CSQ (Common Sense Quotient). All those with below acceptable CSQ were deported from Oregon. Some went to Washington, some to Idaho, some to Nevada, and some to California. I had heard that there were a few who chose not to settle right away, but to keep moving on in search of a new home. Sounds to me as though at least one made it all the way to Alaska. Of course, that program couldn't make a permanent change in the Oregon demographic, so today we're probably just about back where we were before that effort was made...at least if my day-to-day observations are any indication. If anything, encourage him to continue north. :cool: Rick

I'm just curious why he thinks being from Oregon and a logger makes him an expert on wood "seasoning" times?
I know how to make pb&j sammiches, but that doesn't mean I know how to make pb or j.
LOL :)
Hoping to not see him again ;)

Not many people pull into my driveway, which is 200 feet long, but some do. My firewood stacks are out of sight from the road. Anyway, this couple in a van pulled in a few weeks ago and asked me if I wanted to buy some frozen beef. I pointed at my neighbors cows in the pasture across the road, and said that I do not need any frozen beef. So then they asked if I wanted any frozen fish.... I said no, I fish the rivers here for all the fresh salmon that I eat. They looked stumped, and said thank you and backed out of the driveway. I wish at times that I had an 800 foot driveway...

Not many people pull into my driveway, which is 200 feet long, but some do. My firewood stacks are out of sight from the road. Anyway, this couple in a van pulled in a few weeks ago and asked me if I wanted to buy some frozen beef. I pointed at my neighbors cows in the pasture across the road, and said that I do not need any frozen beef. So then they asked if I wanted any frozen fish.... I said no, I fish the rivers here for all the fresh salmon that I eat. They looked stumped, and said thank you and backed out of the driveway. I wish at times that I had an 800 foot driveway...

I have had similar offers just what I want frozen meat from some unknown source.

Don't know why being "from" Oregon was important to him & meant he knew all about burning wood.
Might be headed back after a winter here ;)

I'll check for corked boot marks in the driveway LOL :)
1cork bot.jpg

Play this for him if he comes back.

A classic!

Reactions: Billybonfire
They are spelled 'caulk'... and pronounced 'cork' or 'corks'.

Being from Oregon, I am an expert, see? Why, just the other day I was up at Madsen's in WA...:p

My next thought was, do I need to camouflage the wood stack :eek:

12 gauge full of rock salt.Tripwire.Game camera to watch results later.Popcorn & cool drink.

They are spelled 'caulk'... and pronounced 'cork' or 'corks'.

Being from Oregon, I am an expert, see? Why, just the other day I was up at Madsen's in WA...:p

Never said I was "a logger from Oregon " LOL ;lol
Lived in K Falls for 5 years though.

I really hate when people come up wanting to buy/sell anything... If I wanted to buy/sell anything I would put up a sign to sell it and go buy it if I wanted it. Most of the time, you get those that one talks with you while another walks around and trys to look into buildings and sheds. They are trying to see if there is anything they could come and steal quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.