Guy tries to get more heat from his fireplace. He got it! Pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
image.jpg This old cabin down the road from me got real warm real fast! Luckily no one was hurt or killed, except for the old fireplace. It looks dead to me! I bet the owner will install a wood or a pellet stove if he still wants to heat with wood...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 240
So glad no one was hurt. It looks like that was a very close call. A lot of cheap ZC fireplaces are only meant for ambiance fires, not 24/7 heating.

View attachment 153967 This old cabin down the road from me got real warm real fast! Luckily no one was hurt or killed, except for the old fireplace. It looks dead to me! I bet the owner will install a wood or a pellet stove if he still wants to heat with wood...

Well, it would take a pretty big stove to heat that place. I would suggest sealing some air leaks first.;)

Reactions: WiscWoody
is there a story behind it?
I talked to the guy today but we were interrupted by someone coming to look at the place. Maybe an insurance adjuster. i asked him if maybe it overheated and started a chimney fire but he thought it came from the fireplaces enclosure. And he said that he faught the fire himself emptying two large extinguishers. I would have let it burn to the ground if it was insured! But then again there's the momentos inside if there was any.

Status
Not open for further replies.