Guys, Walnut?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Simoniz

Nov 6, 2014
Browns Summit NC
Guys, is this Walnut? No leaves were on the tree.

Attachments

• 1416148568331.jpg
    1416148568331.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 348
  • 1416148622089.jpg
    1416148622089.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 326
Reactions: Soundchasm
Sure looks like it. Split one open and give it a wiff. Its very rememberable.

Yes, and it has iron in it.

Reactions: jeff_t
No doubt that is walnut.

Yes, and it has iron in it.

Sure does, I see the purple splotches in it. Could be anything from a nail to a Volkswagen ;lol

Black Walnut. Although big, nice walnuts are worth some money, there are lots of them around that aren't worth much. This one wasn't worth anything due to whatever caused that purple stain.

Black Walnut. Although big, nice walnuts are worth some money, there are lots of them around that aren't worth much. This one wasn't worth anything due to whatever caused that purple stain.

Exactly. Wood Duck hit the "nail" on the head so to speak.

Black walnut has to be one of my favorite species to use for cabinetry. If I felled one I'd have to mill some of it down and build something out of it. I Love black walnut!

100% that's black walnut. Burn it. I burn a TON of that stuff. Density should be somewhere around 600 kg/m^3, so not the best wood out there, but not the worst. Pretty much a middle of the road firewood.

I bought some red oak firewood and found a few splits of black walnut mixed in. It's a decent firewood but if the tree is large enough its much better as furniture. Easy to ID visually, and the smell of it is very distinct and awful.

Reactions: 7acres
Here we go with the "Highly Valuable Black Walnut" syndrome again. It is fire wood unless someone is willing to expend the time milling and drying it, same as any other type of wood. As far as firewood use couple notches above Silver maple.

Here we go with the "Highly Valuable Black Walnut" syndrome again. It is fire wood unless someone is willing to expend the time milling and drying it, same as any other type of wood. As far as firewood use couple notches above Silver maple.
I could care less what people do with their own wood. I know nothing about exotic woods (and walnut fits that criteria for me...there's none around here!).
But I am quite certain if someone said they were burning Bird's Eye Maple there would be a tear or two shed on this forum :)

Andrew

I could care less what people do with their own wood. I know nothing about exotic woods (and walnut fits that criteria for me...there's none around here!).
But I am quite certain if someone said they were burning Bird's Eye Maple there would be a tear or two shed on this forum :)

Andrew

No walnuts around my place . . . but last Fall I found a tree growing down in the Auburn area . . . so apparently walnut can grow here in Maine at least.

Someone, I forget who, was even going to send me some walnuts since he was saying they make a mess of his lawn . . . never received any unfortunately.

For those folks with walnut trees . . . can you harvest and eat the nuts? Are they the same as the walnuts you buy in the stores? Maybe a stupid question I know . . . but wild apple trees around here typically have blemishes and insect damage . . . was wondering if the same happens to walnuts.

Andrew

Woodworkers around the world would weep. I keep telling myself I'm no tree hugger. But I've planted more trees than I've cut down. I love a few species for sure. And I'm fascinated by how the mechanics of a tree works. Loblolly Pine DNA has an order of magnitude more base pairs than human DNA. But trees we use for firewood are mortal just like we are. All that said, I sure enjoy watching fire consume carbon and all the VOCs trapped in the wood. It's beautiful! There's something primal about it. I don't worry one bit about absorbing the radiant light and heat wood gives off. Everything feels right when I'm in front of the wood stove. It's almost as if fire is the tree's final act of benevolence as it transitions to pure radiation.

All that said, I sure enjoy watching fire consume carbon and all the VOCs trapped in the wood. It's beautiful! There's something primal about it. I don't worry one bit about absorbing the radiant light and heat wood gives off. Everything feels right when I'm in front of the wood stove. It's almost as if fire is the tree's final act of benevolence as it transitions to pure radiation.

Wow...Thats some deep stuff there! :p

LOL, yeah, maybe trees are not the only "plant" he enjoys.;lol:p

Ha! Going back and reading that was pretty euphoric, indeed! Anyway, I guess that puts this thread into it's coaling stage. <>

No walnuts around my place . . . but last Fall I found a tree growing down in the Auburn area . . . so apparently walnut can grow here in Maine at least.

Someone, I forget who, was even going to send me some walnuts since he was saying they make a mess of his lawn . . . never received any unfortunately.

For those folks with walnut trees . . . can you harvest and eat the nuts? Are they the same as the walnuts you buy in the stores? Maybe a stupid question I know . . . but wild apple trees around here typically have blemishes and insect damage . . . was wondering if the same happens to walnuts.

I have around 100 Black Walnut trees spread along a creek that meanders through two quarters. The nuts are everywhere this time of year. They have a thick black skin that will stain your fingers. Under the skin is the nut itself and it's hard as a rock. Getting the meat out of the nut is a long process of removing the skins and breaking open the shell. In other words...not worth my time. Maybe when I can retire I'll have enough spare time to go into the walnut business.

As for the value of the trees....meh. The juglone keeps the poison ivy and underbrush down and that's worth a lot to me. I've found one or two trees that might be merchantable as lumber but the rest are best left in the woods. I'll harvest them for firewood but only if the tree is unhealthy.

I have a huge walnut in my front yard. I thought it might be worth something. I had a guy take a look at it and said that it was over 100 years old and can't imagine how many nails and spikes are in it. No thanks. Cool, it feeds a lot of squirrels. I'll keep it although they are a messy tree.

It's black walnut, splits great, burns OK, not great.

It's black walnut, splits great, burns OK, not great.

That video went on wayyyy too long, but was still funny. That text to video thing looks fun to play with, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.