Guys, Walnut?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I collected a lot of black walnut last winter from a lot that was being cleared for a new sub division.

Haven't burned any yet but it was a joy to process. A really crisp aroma, and splits like a charm. Even 24-28 inch rounds I could split down the center with my x27 in no more than 1 to 2 hits.

Its fun to stir up this debate of cutting walnut for firewood. I guess it can be ethics. There are several wood forums out on the internet that would have widely varying results to answer this never ending debate.
Just depends on what school you are from. It does surprise me though, how many people don't know what Oak looks like and cant ID it. Nothing personal against the OP.
Did everyone grow up on formica and high impact plastic? Melamine?
I know I'm in the wrong forum if I want to talk about stratifying walnut seeds, germination percentages and seed viability and climate conditions.
Walnut earned its reputation under the knife, not really sure what the fascination is other than color and grain pattern. Walnuts and the stain is a mercantile business in this country. Walnut farms like Pecan and other nut bearing tree farms are above and beyond the occasional walnut tree planted in peoples yards.
Its like comparing apples to oranges.
Obviously its a good thing that we, as a country, are going back to burning firewood as we did a hundred years ago, so we can reestablished a hands on relationship with one of our more valuable resources.
As I decorate my white plastic toiletbowl brush christmas tree with fake plastic tinsel. Its SO beautiful...and it smells SO much like petroleum byproduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.