H-H-H-Hemlock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
Aesthetically, hemlock is my favorite softwood to look at in the forest.

Friday I scored about 1/5 of a cord of free eastern hemlock. Obviously a low BTU wood, but it was on my way home from work, and it was already cut into 12-16 inch diameter rounds and bucked into 12-14 inch lengths.

All you softwood burners, how does hemlock burn? How are the coals? 1 year to season? etc.

Thanks.

Adios Pantalones said:
...has had some issues in NH... murderous bahstid

You, the tree, or the state? :wow: Rick

You really want to know? MWUHAHAhahahaha

Hemlock has marginally higher value than pine (I read). I do know that knots in hemlock are a PITA. I've burned lots while camping (at Skullhead State Forest, Clownshoes)

I use Hemlock for board and batten siding on my home, as well as other projects. I did my bedroom floor in wide plank t&g;hemlock. So, I had quite a lot of scraps laying around, and I burned it all this past winter. It went real fast and hot. I didn't have anything thicker than one inch, so can't say about coals...

Adios Pantalones said:
One of the few trees that I'm trying to encourage on my little slice of heaven- great for wildlife and has had some issues in NH... murderous bahstid

I see hemlocks every where!!

skinnykid said:
Adios Pantalones said:
One of the few trees that I'm trying to encourage on my little slice of heaven- great for wildlife and has had some issues in NH... murderous bahstid

I see hemlocks every where!!

If you get tired of seeing them, come to Central Oregon. Don't go to Pennsylvania, as it's the state tree there. :) Rick

Out here in the PNW hemlock is the only wood that I know that will give you a "facewash" when splitting it. Western Hemlock holds tonnes of moisture. Maybe the eastern hemlock is somewhat different?

I had a big hemlock near the house die for unknown reasons, maybe a year and a half ago or so.
I had it taken down and I cut it up and split it.
It is extremely light now. My plan is to try to use it for fall fires.

No, Sonny . . . no different. Hemlock can sure spray. I split half of what I have today. The rest will go down in 2-3 days. I'm using it as a roof for my 2nd holz.

I've got 3 hemlocks in my yard, all under 6 years old. One is thriving, one is doing alright, and one is struggling.

By the way, Adios, just girdled a couple of elms today in the hopes I'll be able to get to them this summer. You should come by and get sugar maples.

That wooly adelgid can be taken with some spraying - some pretty mild stuff too. I did my uncles trees with Safer Soap and they came back nicely.

I burn lots of hemlock. I have lots of it that is down, so I use it. Yeah the knots are kind of a pain in splitting but you go between them. It smokes a bit and sparks a bit, though not as much as white pine, but mixed with a few pieces of hardwood its fine. Not a long coal producer like oak, hickory, etc.. but it produces a bit more heat than white pine. I'd absolutely use it.

Just say'en all the Hemlocks around here grow in swamps...good looking trees though...they have that weeping look going for them. I have 14" hemlock rough cut boards for the inside of my wood shed. Not easy to nail through but they look fine. I've burned just the board remnants before...they burn fine but like all fir trees you have to be careful cause they burn really hot.

It is a lower btu wood but should be fine firewood with little bad about it except for the low btu. No bad smells or crotches.

Hemlock trees are a negative thing in our working forests, other than for aesthetics which I agree are very good with the dark emerald green hemlocks. The trouble is that they are not windfirm and are very likely to blow over if you remove the protection of their surrounding forest. The other big negative which effects the timber value is that it is very prone to freeze cracking. Where that water load will crack and kill off a limb or top. The hemlock is a widowmaker machine. The whole bloody top will fall off and when it does you can see that it had been cracked for quite some time.

Dang pretty though.

Hemlock is hydroscopic so don't let it sit out when trying to season it. Unlike Red Fir which you can leave in the elements and it'll still dry out, hemlock will soak up any water that rains on it.

You guys aren't kidding about its saturation potential.

I am actually going to use it as a roof for a holz. Bark side up.

Our hemlocks which we have tons of, are hard to find fallen. After reading the link about invasive bugs killing them, it states that the state introduced the japanese lady bug. NOW I KNOW why every spring, I get tons of them in my garage and home and both are very air tight. They love hanging around recessed lighting.

I'm in New Boston and we lost a couple last year. It was odd, on both trees the needles were real yellowish the enitre summer. By the next spring both were bare.

Status
Not open for further replies.