H.S. Equinox liner ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktop37

Jan 4, 2009
S. central Ks.
Hello everyone! This is a great site, Its going to cost my wife a lot of money. I have burned a Blazeking 1984 smoke dragon for 23 years. Im ready for a cleaner stove. I have a direct vent into a 12x12 od ceramic liner outside masonry 30 ft. I am going with ssflex duct. The 12x12 tends to overdraft with the King The King exits straight back. The Equ is a plug & play with its rear exit. Can i do a 7" ss flex to allow for insulation? Im afraid 8" with insulation will be to tight. I have to climb 30 ' to measure inside 12x12.
The new stove has an 8" out.
Thanks, Steve
P.S. I have burned osage orange for 20 years. A dealer here told me if I burned it in the H.S. it would void the warranty. This has got to be wrong,correct?
He said it burns too hot.

Hi 60, I have enjoyed your post the last few weeks.
Great question. The problem is 25 years ago I had everything built with masonry to fit this rear exit stove. It would take a lot of destruction to change.
I tried everything but BK will not ever have a rear again. I know I will miss the firebox (my grandkids could hide in it) The HS comes close to the size.

AH I see. There is a few on here that doe have the EQ. A beautiful Mammoth. I think Fire Walker was saying he did have good turn down control. For your liner size question I would bring up your plan with your local inspector that will do the inspection. Then he will get what he wants with a pass on your end. Sure seems funny about the wood/warranty issue. Its not like your burning railway ties or something. Welcome to the Hearth and good luck. Keep us informed. Iam sure others will chime in.
N of 60

Your dealer was trying to warn you about overfiring since Osage Orange is at the top of the BTU scale pound for pound so if you stuffed it full and let her rip it might exceed the 600 degree overfire range. As long as you keep that center stone under 600 it shouldn't matter what wood you burn. Maybe mix it with some Maple or ash?

Kind a funny, when I talked to Woodstock one day I told them I have 6 cords of Black Locust to burn and the person I talked to seemed a little alarmed, said it burned too hot and suggested to mix in other hardwoods with it.

north of 60 said:
AH I see. There is a few on here that doe have the EQ. A beautiful Mammoth. I think Fire Walker was saying he did have good turn down control. For your liner size question I would bring up your plan with your local inspector that will do the inspection. Then he will get what he wants with a pass on your end. Sure seems funny about the wood/warranty issue. Its not like your burning railway ties or something. Welcome to the Hearth and good luck. Keep us informed. Iam sure others will chime in.
N of 60

Wow things sure have changed when I went thru this in 85. I live in Wichita 400,000. Do they have inspectors like electrical and plumbing? Should I leave it all up to a licensed installer and trust his opinion? (TRUST BUT VERIFY)...... R Reagan

blacktop37 said:
Hello everyone! This is a great site, Its going to cost my wife a lot of money. I have burned a Blazeking 1984 smoke dragon for 23 years. Im ready for a cleaner stove. I have a direct vent into a 12x12 od ceramic liner outside masonry 30 ft. I am going with ssflex duct. The 12x12 tends to overdraft with the King The King exits straight back. The Equ is a plug & play with its rear exit. Can i do a 7" ss flex to allow for insulation? Im afraid 8" with insulation will be to tight. I have to climb 30 ' to measure inside 12x12.
The new stove has an 8" out.
Thanks, Steve
P.S. I have burned osage orange for 20 years. A dealer here told me if I burned it in the H.S. it would void the warranty. This has got to be wrong,correct?
He said it burns too hot.

Hi i have a EQ and i think you will want to add a damper to your flu. My stove has a 32' flue and it just burned burned to fast . Some of the guys on the form have been having problems with run away fires ? Ive never heated my stove above 550 but i can see how it could happen . As far as burning Osage orange I don't think it could matter as long as you don't get above 500o I think the dealers are always looking for a way out of there warranty. John

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if the 7" flu would help with the overfire and allow me to put more insulation on the liner? Do you have any regrets on the Eq? it looks beautiful in the picture.
Id be surprise if their are any in Kansas. Dealers dont know anything about them. Does the outside air hook up lower back? Is the optional fan necessary?
(sorry for dog piling)

Status
Not open for further replies.