H20 vapor escaping from un-pressurized storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello all- as I mentioned in another thread, I put a deposit and ordered an Econoburn 150 gasifier- should arrive in several weeks.

With the boiler selected, the next puzzle is storage. some factors draw me to pressurized, some to un-pressurized, and a lot of that choice may depend on what I can scare up for the biggest possible, affordable tank that will fit down my cellar bulkhead.

But here's one concern that comes to mind with the prospect of un-pressurized-- my old house already has more than a little dry rot in the roughewn first floor joists-- on account of a situation years ago (priro owner) where the gravity-fed spring that supplies the house with water steadily overflowed the cistern and puddled on the floor, making the whole basement (especially one end) very high humidity. Prior owner added some "sisters" on the joists, but I eventually need to get around to doing a lot more to get some of the floors back to proper structural solidity. Last thing I want to do is start filling my cellar with new excess humiduty that'll re-start the dry rotting.

When I think of 500-1000 gallons of water at close to 200 F, especially when surrounded by dry air and cold surfaces, I have to wonder if a lot of moisture is going to be drawn out of any kind of non-sealed/pressurized tank, and end up in the timbers, etc.

For those of you who've had un-pressurized storage in a basement, what's your experience been on how much water you lose in the form of evaporation? How tight have you needed to make the unpressurized storage systems' "lid" to prevent a lot of moisture from escaping? And how have you managed to seal it up in a way that you can still get in it, as needed, for service?

Thanks

Trevor

Evaporation control is critical. I was very careful. I used paraffin to get an evaporation suppression layer on top of the water. I also used EPDM weatherstripping and silicone caulk. I've lost less than 1/2" in two full seasons.

How about floating melted paraffin wax on top? That's what I plan to do.......

OK, nofo beat me to the draw! :)

With good sealing practices, what keeps the tank from going pressurized ?

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.