Ha! AC Kicked in!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Background:
My house thermostat is an automatic programmable thing that controls my natural gas furnace as well as the house air conditioning. The AC is winterized, but the thermostat is still set to turn it on when the house temp goes above 76 (which I had totally forgotten about).

So, for a couple a days there the outside temps were down in the mid-teens (F). I got used to cranking up my new FPX. On Sunday the outside temps climbed into the mid 30's, but I didn't take that into account as I was focused on maintaining a good flame.

I had been checking on the house temp as measured by the house thermostat and was shocked to see that the AC was on!!!

Now I have to either re-program the thermostat or be a lot more careful about not heating up the house too much. (Is there really a choice?)

What do y'all think? Am I getting the hang of this wood burning gig?

-Speak

You are doing fine Speak. Keep up the good work, just stop to think every so often. lol

Most of those automatic puppies will also have the ability to be set for heat only or A/C only. Ya might want to check on that.

Gary_602z said:
A+ on the woodburning. D- on setting the T-stat. :lol:

Gary
LOL, reminds me of Tenatious D......

so, with regards to your T-stat test:

"Dude, listen. You f-n passed the test, okay? But BARELY.
You know what you got?"

[pause for you to ask what you got]

"F+"

That is really not funny! You can and will to DAMAGE to your A/C compressor if it is to cold out. I would go outside and pull the disconnect or flip the breaker!!!!! I flip my breaker every year so that does not happen to me. Now this is what I learned in HVAC school. fespo

Yeap I was thinking, go in the basement and shut off the breaker for the AC compressor.

fespo said:
That is really not funny! You can and will to DAMAGE to your A/C compressor if it is to cold out. I would go outside and pull the disconnect or flip the breaker!!!!! I flip my breaker every year so that does not happen to me. Now this is what I learned in HVAC school. fespo

Thanks for your perspective!

I've re-programmed it so that it can't turn on now. Watch - next summer I'll be scratching my head trying to figure out why there's no AC. It's tough getting old!

-Speak

Same thing happened to me in October, I had forgotten to switch the stat to heat. I considered letting the stove and the A/C battle it out for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.