1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Habanero Jelly

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Adios Pantalones, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I make mine with habs and cherry peppers. Why would anyone grow jalapenos when you can grow cherries??

The yellow droplets are pure capsaicin
    [​IMG]

10 habaneros (grew bigguns this year) and a bunch of cherry peppers (why would anyone grow jalapenos if you can grow cherries?)
    [​IMG]

Mush em up with vinegar
    [​IMG]

Boil it with more vinegar and sugar
    [​IMG]

Add pectin- 3 1/2 pints
    [​IMG]

Also got 12 cups tomatoes put up today
    [​IMG]
    ScotO, fishingpol, smokinj and 4 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Nice! That is going to be a great fall/winter treat. What are your favorite ways to use the jelly?
  3. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    It's a perfect contrast with sharp cheese. Lots of people also like it with cream cheese and crackers. Personally I mostly make pb&J with it, but I'm a very spicy food fan
  4. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    One thing is for sure....bet you guys have healthy digestive systems...:)
    PB&J? WTF?That's what Fluff is for and lots of it...
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    That Habanero jelly looks amazing.Love spicy food but have tapered back my use since getting older.

Peanut Butter is great but actually prefer Nutella on certain things now.Like pancakes or waffles.Especially good on bagels & english muffins.
  6. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    Habaneros actually have a great citrus flavor- I was surprised at how tasty (not just hot) this stuff is the first time I made it.
    ScotO likes this.
  7. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Looks delicious!
  8. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    First time I had Habaneros was almost 20 yrs ago when the seeds/plants started appearing in local garden shops.Grew them for a few yrs,one time was expecting an early Halloween freeze & one plant was especially large & full of orange fruit.Still blooming & hated to lose it so I dug it up,put in 5 gallon bucket with the rootball,placed it in living room.It survived until just after Christmas.I resisted the urge to tell visitors "Help yourself to my sweet Xmas peppers here.....::-)"
    Adios Pantalones and Eatonpcat like this.
  9. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    My hab plants this year are the best I've ever had. I have heard of people putting pepper plants into pots, bringing them in and forcing them to go dormant, then waking them up in the spring. Habaneros might be perfect for this, as they are normally so much slower to develop.
    ScotO and Thistle like this.
  10. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Ohhhh...hab jelly on a block of cream cheese. MMMmmmmm...

Also - don't over look the possibility of dehydrating them. A friend gives me habs and Ghost peppers. I clean, cut in half, dehydrate and then buzz them up in a blender. My goto pizza seasoning (chili, too).

How are you processing the maters? Last year I kept getting good production of maters for a long duration but at no time did I have a bunch that warranted all out canning. Had a buddy tell me for small bunches, to clean them, core them, cut them into chunks and then blend the heck out of them, skin and all. Simmer this down to half, then bag, tag and freeze. Basically a mater sauce. Works good for soup base type stuff.
    Thistle likes this.
  11. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    I do dehydrate and/or freeze some. I could open a damn habanero stand this year. For tomatoes- I core, cut into chunks, stew them up, then freeze in tupperware, though the ziploks are a better idea as I'll run out quick. I thaw them and use as a base for sauce, though I should look into BBQ more. A buddy cuts in half, roasts them on a baking sheet, then freezes.
  12. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Any salt or other products go in when you stew? How long do you simmer?
  13. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I done three smokers full of jalapeno's then through the dehyrator over night. Jelly can be done once the garden over.
    ScotO and Thistle like this.
  14. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    I don't bother with anything else- this is just to mush them up and kill any nasties. All the real cooking happens later. I get them to a simmer and let them go for maybe 15-30 mins- depending on how much I'm paying attention
  15. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Though I dont like tomatoes whole,sliced or in big chunks I either leave them out when cooking or eating out somewhere pick them out or give them to anyone else eating with me - I can almost eat my weight in salsa,ketchup,marinara,spaghetti sauce & other tomato products - go figure ;lol

Dried 3 large peanut butter jars full of thin slices in dehydrator last summer,great to crumble in stews or soups.Mom called this morning - they had just 3 or 4 plants this year,but wanted more for canning & juice later in winter.She said they went to a local vegetable farm & picked 92 pounds worth! :eek: So I'll probably be getting 2-3 quarts of juice in a few weeks....;) From a friend of theirs I got a 5 gallon bucket of free Concord & another kind of grapes on Sunday,I'll press that through,mix with a bit of sugar in a few days.Should have a quart or so juice hopefully.Statewide wineries are reporting smaller fruit this year because of severe drought past 2 months,but quality of fruit is excellent & higher in sugar because of that.
    ScotO, smokinj and Adios Pantalones like this.
  16. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    I hear ya. I make salsa and the occasional bruschetta is as much raw tomato as I eat, but I can grow them as well as most. Gave my mom a few softball sized maters today? Raw tomatoes, olives, most jazz music- things I wish I liked because people that like them really enjoy them.
  17. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We dry a batch of our hot peppers. Still working on a very nice crop of last year's Thai chile peppers. They are great. This year's summer has been too cool. I don't think we are going to get very hot peppers this season.
  18. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    Hit me up at the end of the season- I'm sure I'll have some extras.

Made a PB&J for lunch today and licked the spoon after to try the jelly- I was pleased as punch. Hotter, a little less sweet than usual- which is what I was aiming for. I'm not necessarily going for killer heat, but I think I got it this time anyway :)
  19. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    We make jalepeno jelly...habanero jelly sounds a scary hot.

I've never been a fan of uncooked tomatoes, but I'm finally coming around this year. A thick slice of beefsteak on toast, salt, pepper, and mayo is pretty amazing. Sometimes I'll add a runny egg instead of mayo.

We made a ton of salsa and juice this year. Now when we have more maters than we can eat we peel, seed, core, dice, bag up, and freeze. Good for making soups.
    smokinj likes this.
  20. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Thats funny this is also my first year of eating tomatoes......Must be a good year for them because normally one bit and I am done for the year.
  21. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Haven't tried pepper jelly and peanut butter yet. Will have to do that. I like it on fresh homemade cornbread, yum.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  22. Lewiston

Lewiston Member

Loc:
    South Central, WI
    Now that sounds good!
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  23. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    This is easy to do - I have 3 year old tabasco plants, and have done other small hot varieties, also. Pick clean, prune mercilessly, and water sparingly.
    Adios Pantalones likes this.
  24. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Well you inspired me to make my own so I made a batch. Dont have any habenero but have lots of Hot pepper and jalepeno. Also did two batches of pepper mustard while i was at it.
  25. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    pepper mustard.jpg peppermustard.jpg pepper jelly.jpg
    Thanks for the inspiration, needed to get that done.
    pic 1 pepper mustard cookin
    pic 2 pepper mustard finished
    pic 3 finished jalepeno jelly