Hackberry and cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
This is what a Mississippi summer will do to Hackberry and cherry in less than 6 months
20141206_140716.jpg
20141206_140738.jpg

When you stack it single rowed in the sun and wind, things like this happen......
My red oak dried in a year and a half, not 3......
How much did you pay for that meter Rebel, I have a general but it looks different......thanks......

Black Cherry is great with one year seasoning up here in the North with our moisture and humidity. I'm glad my trees are all crooked and blemished and unworthy of timber rating so I can burn guilt free.
Hackberry seems like cottonwood and I just cut up some cottonwood and it was soft and spongy feeling.
Is Hackberry soft? Like fuzzy?

When you stack it single rowed in the sun and wind, things like this happen......
How much did you pay for that meter Rebel, I have a general but it looks different......thanks......

I got it at Lowe's on sale for 19.99 last week. That's the 2014 model. They had the older version too but they were same price. I didn' take a pic of the 3 cords of oak I have that's been setting for a llittle over a year but it's less than 25% as well. It'll be good to go next year. The 3 years for oak definitely doesn't apply everywhere.

Black Cherry is great with one year seasoning up here in the North with our moisture and humidity. I'm glad my trees are all crooked and blemished and unworthy of timber rating so I can burn guilt free.
Hackberry seems like cottonwood and I just cut up some cottonwood and it was soft and spongy feeling.
Is Hackberry soft? Like fuzzy?

Naw mine is pretty hard. I had heard it took a year or more to dry but obviously it didn't take that for me. I haven't burned any of it yet. Anybody know how it burns?
And yes God is good. I'm lucky to have plenty of land to cut from with a wide variety of trees to cut from(majority oak)

Here's my oak that's marinated for a little over a year. Theres some pecan and hickory in here as well. The split I checked was towards the bottom and it was 24%. As you can see its stacked pretty tight. I'm pretty happy with this progress so far.
20141206_160827.jpg

You split your oak the same size as I do. I've been criticized for that but I like dry wood. Overnight burns be damned. Lol.
I started splitting bigger but now I'm sorting thru my one year wood looking for those nice medium splits. My "Twigs" as they were called.

That's a mighty fine looking stockpile of wood you've got there-what kind of temperatures do you usually get down there in Winter?

Rock on bro, that is a nice stash of firewood you have processed. Your procedures are truly the way to go.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
That's a mighty fine looking stockpile of wood you've got there-what kind of temperatures do you usually get down there in Winter?

45-55 during the day and 25-35 at night is pretty average for winter. Usually a couple decent snows if were lucky. Last year it was cold though. We had a good many days below freezing in the day and single digits at night. Thats frigid for here lol. I can't imagine
Yalls winter up there last year

I can't imagine
Yalls winter up there last year

It was one that I'll never forget! Just said to the wife tonight "we aren't going through the wood at the pace that we did last Winter, but it's still a long way to go". About 3 weeks ago it got real cold real fast and I thought "here we go again", but it's been a roller coaster weather-wise since then; we even had a record high of 71 last Monday!

But you KNOW now that I said that here comes the cold weather!!! ;lol

Reactions: Rebelduckman
I don't mind taking a ribbing for splits that look like kindling. Two stoves to feed with one being an EPA model that has to have dry wood. Took a live Cherry down in March and it's burning extremely well right now. Friend gave me a live cut Silver Maple in July and it's as dry and light as can be. After ten years, this might be the first winter I don't run completely out. 8 cords CSS and I'm working 3 cords of White Oak for down the road.

I'll take dry wood over wet good wood any day.

Naw mine is pretty hard. I had heard it took a year or more to dry but obviously it didn't take that for me. I haven't burned any of it yet. Anybody know how it burns?
And yes God is good. I'm lucky to have plenty of land to cut from with a wide variety of trees to cut from(majority oak)

I've got hundreds of Hackberry trees on the farm. It's my primary species. Hackberry burns hot and fast with a nice bed of coals. I think it smells good too. It does dry out fast compared to other hardwoods. If left on the ground it rots very quickly. It's in the Elm family and the grain can be stringy but it really depends on the tree. I would say the grain is somewhere between Elm and Ash. I've never had much trouble splitting it by hand. I look for standing dead trees on the farm because they are almost always ready to burn. If they are on the ground I know they are already too far gone due to the quick rot time.

Reactions: Soundchasm
I've got hundreds of Hackberry trees on the farm. It's my primary species. Hackberry burns hot and fast with a nice bed of coals. I think it smells good too. It does dry out fast compared to other hardwoods. If left on the ground it rots very quickly. It's in the Elm family and the grain can be stringy but it really depends on the tree. I would say the grain is somewhere between Elm and Ash. I've never had much trouble splitting it by hand. I look for standing dead trees on the farm because they are almost always ready to burn. If they are on the ground I know they are already too far gone due to the quick rot time.

Thanks that's some good info there! I have quite a few myself. I won't hesitate to take one now if I need to. I split a small one out of
Pasture that died and had no trouble splitting
by hand.

Last edited:
Good info on the Hackberry. I got one that fell on my power line last winter and it's in the next year stack. Might have to pull out a few splits and check the MC, maybe burn some this year if it's ready. CSS last Dec

I've got hackberry that I cut and split in April and is ready to burn now. Burns hot and good coals. Stringy to split. but dries quickly.

Good to hear. As soon as this Nor'Easter moves out of here I'll have to dig some out and try it

I had some Hackberry sitting in rounds for three or four years, when I finally got it on the splitter it exploded! Burns great!

Status
Not open for further replies.