Hackberry drop, will this be ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric B

Nov 12, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Got quite a bit of Hackberry dropped today. Will this be ok to let lay until fall? Or does it need to be split and stacked right away?

206fryx.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Osagebndr
Hackberry bark in my area looks so much rougher! But I've had hackberry rounds that have been sitting out uncovered/unsplit well over a year, and just split them the other day, they look fine.

My preference would be to buck to length then stack so most of its off the ground. Got 1.5-2 cords waiting for me in just that way.

Dat don't look like no hackberry ta me. Hackberry gotts a real warty bark, dat der stuff too smooth. Naw,da mo I looks, da less I sees hack.

Last edited:
That is 100 % not hackberry.

Southern Hackberry aka Sugarberry.

Quiet in the auditorium please! Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have a winner, Mr. BillinTX, with sugarberry!

bark1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that does look close, will be interesting to see more pictures.

Yep. I believe this is sugarberry or southern hackberry. Looks right from the pictures I've seen. We don't have that type here so I've never been up close and personal with a piece of southern hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.