Hackberry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodPyro

Aug 27, 2010
East TN
Will someone please tell me how this wood burns, splits, seasons, maybe in comparison to some other common woods? I seem to see a ton of it in the Knoxville area here and wonder if I should get some. The smooth bark seems rather appealing to me, since some other barks can make quite a mess in the house. Thanks, James

About like ash!

Attachments

• milling aaron.jpg
    milling aaron.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 264
Burns good, though not as good as oak or hickory. However, I still like it.
Overall, it will split easy, especially if it's a straight and tall forest-grown Hackberry. Some pieces will be slightly stringy, but overall it's fairly straight-grained.
I would give it a full year to season. Though you should split and stack it ASAP. When wet, it will dry-rot very fast, so get it dry as soon as you can.

Hope this helps.

I think it's a good firewood about on par with Elm or White Birch BTU wise. I scored some this year and found it to split very easily but in the past I have found some to be more difficult. Seems to dry fast in less that a year and is not a messy wood. I gab it whenever I can, if you have easy access to it don't pass it up.

Thanks for the replies, I guess next chance I get I will grab me some, as far as Ash goes, that is another one of the woods I have never burnt and am avid about getting ahold of some to try out. The nice thing is any wood keeps my house warm here in TN, but I love trying all different kinds.

Jay, awesome pic, I love how the branches are propping it up perfectly for milling!

WoodPyro said:
Jay, awesome pic, I love how the branches are propping it up perfectly for milling!

Got lucky on that one.... :cheese:

Forgot to mention, you have to be careful cutting down Hackberry trees. I've had more barber-chairs with Hackberry than any other tree. Make sure you make your cuts perfect. I've learned the hard way to not to get in a hurry and not be so sloppy when cutting these trees.

chinkapin_oak said:
Forgot to mention, you have to be careful cutting down Hackberry trees. I've had more barber-chairs with Hackberry than any other tree. Make sure you make your cuts perfect. I've learned the hard way to not to get in a hurry and not be so sloppy when cutting these trees.

Cut relief cuts on the side flairs.

Thanks for the heads up, I am inexperienced enough to be very wary any time I am dropping a tree or bucking something under stress.

WoodPyro said:
Thanks for the heads up, I am inexperienced enough to be very wary any time I am dropping a tree or bucking something under stress.

once you get your face cut look at both sides for big flares and make a relief cut about the same height as your back cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.