Had 3 taken down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
had an arborist climb, top and fell 3 sketchy trees threatening the house. 1 oak hollow 1/2 way up,, I healthy but leaning over oak, and a leaning, top heavy (Loblolly?) pine with a big kink in the trunk.Three guys all quoted around 850 bucks. Kinda steep, but definitely out of my league. Trees were n a hillside to boot, and 2 companies said "If they were a bit closer the bucket truck could get to them"

Before pics - Big pine to left,then 2 oaks to right. Last oak on right I can handle and will get this winter.

Before, looming ominously:

Downed : Notice moisture on hollow oak. Guy said this tree was over half of quote and a PITA

View from road. That locust looks lonely now - probably should go into woodpile too. (It's an ant farm)

2 Neighbors already told me not to burn the pine, of course. ;)

Sweet!
Nice pictures.
How long before you have it all CSS ? :)

Reactions: ScotO
That will keep you busy for a couple afternoons. Yep better stay away from the devil wood pine it has to much creosote in it. :rolleyes:

A man has to know his limitations. I think that was a well spent few hundred dollars.

Sweet!
Nice pictures.
How long before you have it all CSS ? :)

Gonna be a bit! Still stacking three oaks in the woods. My crew has negotiated a drive in movie as payment for today's shift.

Reactions: Thistle and Nixon
Gonna be a bit! Still stacking three oaks in the woods. My crew has negotiated a drive in movie as payment for today's shift.

Union rules, :)
must be popcorn/movie wages vs davis/bacon.

Drive in movies,
Forgot about those, none here.

Reactions: osagebow
Osage, that price definitely was not out of line. Good for you for getting them down.

Union rules, :)
must be popcorn/movie wages vs davis/bacon.

Drive in movies,
Forgot about those, none here.

You just need to be creative Dave . . . put a white sheet on your woodshed, hook up a laptop with a DVD player to a laptop projector and run a movie through it . . . for the real experience hook up some computer speakers to capture that old tinny sound. ;)

Actually . . . at Camp Jakeawana we do something pretty similar to this . . . only we sit in the lawn chairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.