had a chimney inspection...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikejk

Mar 4, 2014
Clinton Twp., MI
Yesterday I had a guy come out to inspect and give me a quote on cleaning my chimney. He said it looked like it had not been cleaned in a long time, that there may have been a chimney fire, that in order to remove all of the creosote, it would have to be mechanically cleaned (approx $350), and that the existing liner has deteriorated and a stainless liner should be installed... does this sound about right?

It's almost impossible for him to know if it needs a liner until its cleaned. Especially if its as dirty as he says.
Have you been using the flue? I find that most build-up will actually release and fall to the bottom over time. So, if you don't use it and its set for a very long time I have my doubts that its that dirty.
And the price is way too high. The charge usually isn't much higher if chains are needed, and a typical cleaning is in the $169 range.

For a mechanical cleaning, using chains or cables, that price seems about right for my area. And installing a liner, he can't say 100%, that your flues are damaged but it seems very probable.

Well, I bought the house recently. It had a franklin stove in it that sat on a huge hearth. I removed the franklin and cut the brick hearth in half, width wise. Had the intention of putting a smaller wood stove if all was well with the chimney. But I don't know now since this seems to be an added cost I wasn't expecting. Here's some pics of the old hearth and stove, and what I was thinking of getting to replace. So I haven't actually used it at all myself.

12.jpeg1389708778778__kwipfn12_12_.jpg0f3a1732-23d4-4d35-9cd3-571e34924de2_300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I would have to install a new liner would it be necessary to clean the old one? This whole thing kind of seems like it was my worst case scenario.

And James, what would a typical price range be for a liner? I would guess it's about 25' from where the stove pipe penetrates the brick to the top of the chimney.

Should be about $1500 installed, and yes It definitely needs cleaned first.

Reactions: Owen1508
Should be about $1500 installed, and yes It definitely needs cleaned first.
I have always wondered....what would be the main problem if a chimney (clay or block type) was NOT cleaned prior to installing a SS liner?

Is there a potential for the old soot/creosote to get hot and burn? (even in an insulated system?)

That little englander 17 is a very small stove. What is your hopes for the stove to accomplish?
Agreed. How large an area do you hope to heat with the stove? Will this be an occasional fire, maybe nights and weekends or would the stove be burning full time in the winter?

Also, the hearth is not nearly deep enough for the Franklin. It's good you took it out. The new stove may also need the hearth extended. We can help you with that once the actual stove is determined.

Not really trying to heat the house just want a fire I can see, more aesthetic than anything. I do prefer real wood fire. According to the specs on the Englander it seems like it will fit fine with no alterations. If it comes down to it, there will be no stove there, if it's going to cost me $350 for a cleaning and another $1500 for a liner. The stove itself is only $600...

Just throwing it out there, but you are looking at a realistic 3 hour fire in that stove. If that works for you, then it works.

According to the specs on the Englander it seems like it will fit fine with no alterations. If it comes down to it, there will be no stove there, if it's going to cost me $350 for a cleaning and another $1500 for a liner.

How deep is the current hearth? Looks like about 25-27"? The stove is 12.5" deep and requires at a minimum 8" rear clearance with double-wall pipe. That brings us to 20.5" and it needs a hearth 16" in front of the glass for a total minimum hearth of 36.5". I think you'll need to plan for at least a hearth extension board in front of the hearth. It only needs to be ember protection for the 17VL. These can be found for under $100, or you could make one of your own out of sheet metal.

Here's an example install with one:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...hstone-clydesdale-specific.19890/#post-293987
Amazon sells:
http://www.amazon.com/Chimney-Plus-153014-Hearth-Extension/dp/B002TNQGYA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400601639&sr=8-1&keywords=Chimney Plus 153014
Or slice one of these in half and screw it down in front of the hearth
http://www.northlineexpress.com/28-x-32-ul-1618-black-stoveboard-t2ul2832bl-1c.html

PS: Get some more quotes for cleaning and liner. Or if you are capable of DIY, consider installing your own liner after the cleaning is done.

Last edited:
For a second or third opinion find a certified sweep in the area. Try either of these websites. Type in your zipcode to search.
www.csia.org
www.ncsg.org

If that franklin was used much i would not be surprised if the chimney was really dirty and had a few fires. And yes some damage can be seen before cleaning. Your new stove will work much better with an insulated liner anyway but like begreen said go ahead and get another opinion as well as multiple quotes for a liner. Most guys will do the cleaning as part of the liner install so you can take that cost out but to me $1500 is the low end especially if the liner is insulated (which it should be). What size flue is it? And do you have proper clearances to combustibles from the chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.