Had a little scare with my oaks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
Returned from a week away and found that most of the oaks had dead leaves - like the whole tree at about 2/3's leaf out were dead and dried up. Big ones, little ones but not everyone???? My first reaction was that some sort of disease was getting them because it was only the oaks. A few days later new leaves have begun to develop and speaking with my friend it turns out we had a little frost last week. I am assuming all will be well but this may effect fruit production for my deer. Anyone else in Mid- Michigan see this with oak trees?

I have seen it in the past around here. Back in the 70's we had a heat spell ( 70 deg days, warm evenings ) that went on for a couple weeks in Mid Jan. Everything was blooming and then all H broke loose and we got snow covered and in the deep freeze ( high temps about zero though most Feb.) until the later part of April.

Bummer.
Betting the tree has seen it before & is just adjusting to circumstances.

Chaotic spring weather several places.
Climate change

Quite common Bob. They should be okay.

Yea - they are all greening back up as I type. Just was strange to see it on some but not others in all age catagories and nearly side by side.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yep, the maples and fruit trees around here took a hit from that frost last week as well. The maple leaves were all wilted for several days, some falling off, and noticed leaves laying all around the Bradford pears, apples and such. Looks like the trees bounced back, but we're supposed to get some really cold weather the next couple of evenings. I sure hope we don't get hit with frost again, that won't be good...

Good luck Scott. We had some light frost and more predicted for tonight. Then it looks like we are clear for a while.

I had a huge Oak die last year, and my trophy Oak (a real Red Oak Monster) is really light on the leaves this year. Hoping it is not getting Oak Wilt. These trees are supposed to live for hundreds of years and they are dying on me. I don't need any more wood, thank you.

We've had some pin oaks die on us but so far, so good this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.