Had a mess to clean up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basod

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2009
Mount Cheaha Alabama
Had three sweetgums dropped. Taking over too much sunlight in the yard and the dang spikey balls aren't pleasant on bare feet in the grass. Not the greatest of firewood, but it's right there in the yard so.....
A few picks of the progress

Attachments

• IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 164
Nice looking wood to me and free and handy so is good. Whats the door for? Is that the door to your woodshed? ;)

Nice looking wood to me and free and handy so is good. Whats the door for? Is that the door to your woodshed? ;)
It's the target door, used to be leaning against the gum trees the middle tree had a pretty good notch shot out of it - another reason I wanted them taken down

Reactions: milleo
Looks as if you have some fun work piled up there :)

(Target tree ? )Some of the rounds will have some lead in them?
Shouldn't hurt the chain but not sure burning it is a good thing ;)

Have fun splitting that gum I took down a sweetgum and spli it up last year and it was a pain. Although the difficulty splitting is about outweighed by the fact that it was in your own yard I'd say. Also remember not to over season sweetgum as it rots fast. Happy burning!

If you can shoot there should be only one small round with lead in it :)

mix that 'gum in with your good stuff for shoulder burns and quick start-ups. Every good woodstack has some softer stuff in it.
I have lots and lots of silver maple in my stacks. That's what I used pretty much this entire heating season for daytime burning. Silver maple and ash during the day, white oak and locust at night.......

Reactions: Jags
Never burned any gum. From what folks say about splitting I don't know if I will. We have lots and lots of silver maple around here so I think I'll stick with that for shoulder seasons and mixing. But if it was in my yard....yeah, I'd most likely process and burn it, but first I'd borrow the neighbors splitter!;)

Hope you have hydraulics... ;)

It's all split except the stumps - storms yesterday cut the work day short, and looks as if its going to rain all day today:(
When halving the big rounds on the splitter the opposite ends open up in nearly perfect zig-zags
Working them down into smaller pieces I found it'll separate fairly clean on the growth rings.

And yes the chain goes through FMJ rounds(your feel a little tug) no dulling noticed - those rounds are down in the dump pile

That is one flavor of tree that I have never burned. I agree with Scotty...every good wood stack will have some of the lesser woods in it. Shoulder season, quick starts, burning down a coal bed, whatever....

Status
Not open for further replies.