Had a trophy stop by for a vist this morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmule

Feeling the Heat
Feb 9, 2011
Conifer Colorado
Had a nice bull elk in my yard this morning.
1012236_10200410433879828_1518006798_n.jpg

Mmmmmm Steak. That's a beauty there.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Did he eat the flowers?

:(:mad:

He ate half a row lettuce before I turned the sprinklers on.

A salad before elks steaks is OK :)

Great picture. Don't seem to be afraid of you.

Reactions: ScotO
I've had some fun with elk occasionally, One time, just for kicks a big bull came through not far from my camp. I was alone and I'd heard him bugling coming from the south. I was about 1.5 miles from camp and walking up in a bright moonlight and just enjoying myself (had been deer hunting). I got to camp and put things away then just stood outside enjoying the beautiful fall night when he bugled really close. Loud!!! Then I saw him walking about 60-70 yards from where I was and he stopped. So being the crazy guy I normally am, I started pawing the ground, just to see what would happen. Whoa!!!! He didn't come after me but he let out a bugle and let me tell you from that distance, it sounds a lot different. It started sort of sounding like a huge cylinder and wind winding up in it and then the familiar bugle. Sort of sent chills up my spine and I was at that time thinking of what to do if he came at me. Well, he didn't but it is a moment I'll never forget.

In that same camp site about 2 weeks later I had my wife with me. One morning we did not get up early to hunt because it was raining so we found a different way to entertain ourselves... But after daylight I looked out and what a surprise. A 6 x 6 had a harem not far from our camp. (There was an open field there.) Between the harem and us stood 2 small bulls. I can just imagine their thoughts! But that big guy really put on a show for those two kids and us. After watching that, we no longer wonder why the males can get so run down by the end of the rut.

Enjoy it gmule.

Reactions: ScotO and gmule
Status
Not open for further replies.