Had my first fire last night!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naehring2000

Feb 12, 2012
North Shore, MA
I finally got everything installed(pictures coming) and couldn't wait to get that thing fired up, but it wasn't as smooth as I anticipated. I first used too little newspaper and my kindling collapsed before it lit so I had to add more newspaper restack and try again.

Once I had a bed of coals I began adding larger pieces of pallet wood and left the door slightly cracked to get it going but I may have left it open too long, the stove top temp roared to 600 (overfire on a rutland therm) of course being a newb I erred on the side of caution and brought it back down to 450.

I was worried about draft issues with only having a 10' chimney but I had no problems at all.

MY question to nc-13 owners is, what is the optimum cruising temp? I know each thermometer mfg. has their own temp range for an overfire and the stove seemed perfectly fine running at 600.

Lastly, those secondaries are hypnotizing, I could watch those for hours.

naehring2000 said:
I finally got everything installed(pictures coming) and couldn't wait to get that thing fired up, but it wasn't as smooth as I anticipated. I first used too little newspaper and my kindling collapsed before it lit so I had to add more newspaper restack and try again.

Once I had a bed of coals I began adding larger pieces of pallet wood and left the door slightly cracked to get it going but I may have left it open too long, the stove top temp roared to 600 (overfire on a rutland therm) of course being a newb I erred on the side of caution and brought it back down to 450.

I was worried about draft issues with only having a 10' chimney but I had no problems at all.

MY question to nc-13 owners is, what is the optimum cruising temp? I know each thermometer mfg. has their own temp range for an overfire and the stove seemed perfectly fine running at 600.

Welcome to your new addiction! Nice looking stove, you'll get some good heat out of it. Was that 600 degree temp taken off of your stovetop or off of the pipe? If it was the stovetop, you weren't overfiring, that is a good temp for your stove. But you did the right thing, until you learn the characteristics of your stove, your draw on the pipe, your drafting, etc., you want to be careful and keep the temps reasonable. You will also get better at starting your fires, I make my own firestarters and kindling but they also sell these Supercedars and they rave about them, check them out. Keep us posted and remember the Hearth.com creed......."pictures or it didn't happen"...... ;-P

Scotty Overkill said:
naehring2000 said:

Welcome to your new addiction! Nice looking stove, you'll get some good heat out of it. Was that 600 degree temp taken off of your stovetop or off of the pipe? If it was the stovetop, you weren't overfiring, that is a good temp for your stove. But you did the right thing, until you learn the characteristics of your stove, your draw on the pipe, your drafting, etc., you want to be careful and keep the temps reasonable. You will also get better at starting your fires, I make my own firestarters and kindling but they also sell these Supercedars and they rave about them, check them out. Keep us posted and remember the Hearth.com creed......."pictures or it didn't happen"...... ;-P

I took the temp off the stovetop directly in front of the flue collar. I have DVL and haven't bought a probe thermometer yet. I know I'll get pics, I was so excited to fire it up I haven't even cleaned up my tools yet! (nor had it inspected yet) :)

naehring2000 said:
I took the temp off the stovetop directly in front of the flue collar. I have DVL and haven't bought a probe thermometer yet. I know I'll get pics, I was so excited to fire it up I haven't even cleaned up my tools yet! (nor had it inspected yet) :)
Believe me, we've all been there! :lol: I don't think that temp was bad at all, matter of fact thats ideal, but like I said, It pays to take your time and be overly cautious, because safety is the main objective. I didn't get the nickname Scotty Overkill for nothin! ;-) Get that bad boy inspected, and your quest to get out of big brother Oil's back pocket is well on it's way!

Congrats on the new stove! Look forward to the pics!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.