Had our first fuzzy white stuff today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBoy19

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2010
Southern IN
That means wood-burning season has "OFFICIALLY" arrived and is here to stay... although there really wasn't much. Thursday night there were just a couple flurries for about 15 minutes, but nothing stuck. This morning it stuck, but there was only enough to see a little white in the grass etc.

I feel pretty good about my wood supply. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it through the winter without dipping into some marginally seasoned sugar maple. But so far, through the beginning of the heating season I've burned maybe 1/3 cord of poplar. I still have 1 2/3 cord of poplar left, then almost a full cord of white ash, then almost a full cord of sugar maple that should be seasoned well, then the 2 1/2 cords of marginally seasoned sugar maple...

I know the season so far hasn't been enough to really gauge things on, but at least I have an idea of how much wood it takes to maintain temp in my home when it's in the 20's. If I get too close for comfort I also have about 1/4 face cord of dead Hedge that I cut, it's dry enough to burn but I don't want to burn it if I don't have to. I also have about 1/2 face cord of slightly punky cherry that is used for camping, but I can use that if I need to as well. I think I'm going to make it, just going to have to "manage" my wood closely and plan out what wood to burn when etc...

I saw a few flakes down here Tuesday night. For sure wood-burning weather.

It sounds like you are all set for this year. Hopefully you are already gathering for next year.

Hard to believe but we also got our first ground cover. Snowed light all day yesterday and now it is snowing again. Not a lot though as we probably don't have more than an inch or so on the ground.

Backwoods Savage said:
It sounds like you are all set for this year. Hopefully you are already gathering for next year.

Hard to believe but we also got our first ground cover. Snowed light all day yesterday and now it is snowing again. Not a lot though as we probably don't have more than an inch or so on the ground.

Next year isn't a problem. I have 8 cords of Oak, 3 cords of hedge, and 10+ cords of locust. Most of that is already CSS, just have to finish splitting the locust now.

We have had a crazy amount of snow for the UK over the past few days. There is about 6 inches of settled white stuff here where I work, and heavier still out of town. The brits don't do snow well and most schools across the country are closed. We aren't because it is a boarding school and the kids live on site. Still great for some massive marauding snowball fights.

Maybe I'll workout how to add pictures later.

Coach B said:
I saw a few flakes down here Tuesday night. .

A few flakes? Head and shoulders will take care of ...... oh crap...I'm sorry you meant snow.

Mesuno said:
Maybe I'll workout how to add pictures later.

Yes - you should do that - I have always wondered what UK people look like. %-P

Well, we went from have the first flurries on the 1st, to having 5 inches on the 4th.

The news said this was the coldest beginning of December in the last 28 years and the most snow at this point in the last 13 years. But I would guess that it's actually longer for my locale because we were right in the heaviest part of the snowfall, and the news station is over an hour away. Supposed to be single digit lows in places here. Today's high won't even break freezing...

I'm contemplating the Ash. I'm still burning poplar because I was hoping to get rid of it all before moving on to the good stuff. Maybe if I don't move on to the Ash I won't know what I'm missing, and I'll just keep burning the poplar.

That popple will still work out well on weekends when there is someone there all the time. If not, Spring will arrive in only a few months.

Backwoods Savage said:
That popple will still work out well on weekends when there is someone there all the time. If not, Spring will arrive in only a few months.
Yeah, I'm about 1/4 of the way through it, still have 1 1/2 cords left now. Right now it's just easier for me to burn it because it's closer. Although I think I might start dipping into the ash because it's gonna be pretty chilly, and I know tomorrow when my wife gets home before I do she's gonna want the house to be somewhat warm yet. It's tough to keep the house warm when I'm gone for almost 11 hours every day. I get up a little early and get it going so when she gets up the house is warm, but then when she gets home it's normally a little chilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.