Had some fun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I wanted to get these two trees out of there and knew they would hang up. No problem though. I had to quit before I got all done but maybe I'll finish today. But then, that one on the left might have to wait as there is one limb on that oak that is holding it up in the air. I cut until it was just hanging in mid air. I'll probably just leave it if it doesn't drop and let Mother Nature take it down the rest of the way. The smaller one I almost finished yesterday so that one will be a quickie.

Hanging small trees like this is not a problem as 99% of them you can just keep cutting off the butt end and the tree will keep dropping further and further. You just have to be careful and know how to do the sawing right and know what the tree is going to do as it drops. Heads up!

Dang, it kept snowing most of the time I was back there. As soon as I quit, it stopped. But we only got maybe an inch anyway. Today it is cold. I may even put it off another day.

Cuttingbycreek-2.jpg

Cuttingbycreek.jpg

Great pic's and nicely done Dennis! (thats text book stuff there)

Nice pictures, when you are done there come over and take care of that hung up maple for me.

Zap

interchangabLEE said:
Use your "aiming sites" on saw to hit that "hole"!

yep, but he's pretty darn good at doing the leaners and keeps the saw out of the dirt.

I'll do it Zap, but you might have to wait for a while.

Lee, lol, we used to say that all the time. Then we'd drive a stake part way into the ground and try to finish the job with the falling tree. Fun times.

smokinjay said:
interchangabLEE said:
Use your "aiming sites" on saw to hit that "hole"!

yep, but he's pretty darn good at doing the leaners and keeps the saw out of the dirt.

Thanks Jay. Right behind the tree you might notice a clump of small trees. That is some thorn apple that is dying. I was hoping that one limb on the oak would not hold the tree and that the thorn apple would be taken down at the same time. Well, it didn't work but no problem.

Backwoods Savage said:
I'll do it Zap, but you might have to wait for a while.

Lee, lol, we used to say that all the time. Then we'd drive a stake part way into the ground and try to finish the job with the falling tree. Fun times.

It will be there waiting for the ravage of the sav.

Nice pics! And almost perfect wood cuttin' weather.

I did finish cutting those two yesterday. I also cut down that thorn apple clump. Will be heading back there again really soon. Probably within the hour.

When you're cutting the butt end of a leaning tree, how do you make the cut? Do you cut from the bottom up?

On the one pictured that had not yet been cut, I cut right to firewood length. On the other one I cut it into 4' sections.

I make a top cut and watch the cut very closely. As soon as there is any movement showing the cut closing, out comes the saw. It is finished by cutting through the bottom. In many, many years cutting I think I've hung the saw exactly once. That taught me how to be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.