Had to Clean the Cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
After about two months of 24/7 burning my boiler, yesterday I had to clean the 8-inch add-on cat element. Wasn't sure what I'd find when I opened it up, but it was just covered with fly ash. I took the unit out and gave it a good going over with a shop-vac.

Given that the hard-firing days and nights are still to come, it looks like once-a-month ought to do the trick, with a nice, hot bath at the end of the season. I think it will be fairly easy to get at the element without removing the cat unit, because I can go in through the bottom of the clean-out Tee with the vacuum cleaner hose. It's only about 2 feet.

I was pleased to see no surface degradation, cracks or other signs of wear and tear on the element. My hope is to get two heating seasons out of it. I think I understood Craig to say that generally speaking, as long as the ceramic substrate is intact, the catalytic coating should be as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.