Had to fire it up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Feeling the Heat
Feb 29, 2008
Bell bell Pa.
Well its been cold and damp here in Pa and I heard the oil heater kick in a few times today.The family and I were out for a while and when we got back in the wife asked if we could fire it up. So for the first time I started the fire from the top down.HOW COOL IS THAT. The Insert came up to temp a lot quicker the fan came on with in fifteen min.
Well any way the Dampness is gone and the kids are warm.GOT TO LOVE THAT

Well Burd, I just finished starting another fire in our stove. It is chilly and damp. Put 3 pieces in and will probably just let that burn down. Hope the heating season ends pretty soon.

argus66 said:
had fires here last 3 nights or so other day was 30 degress when i got up.

The stove's been cold for awhile, but fired it up this morning. Frost two nights ago and cold drizzle this morning.
It's Mother's Day, and the kids' mom wants it warm. Glad to do my part. :)

I tried the top down fires for these short burns to take the chill off. I too found they started easily with less smoke and burned well. Lazy and letting the furnace run a little these cold evenings and mornings. We work so our temps are set low after we leave and by the time we get home the house is warm enough from the days warming. At night our furnace gets set low again and it doesn't run much. I have had a few evening fires just to refresh my memory as to how nice wood heat is.

I think that since sometime last October or so, I can only remember two mornings that we haven't started a fire in our stove in the house first thing in the morning...and then I light the workshop stove a bit later. The shop's on the first floor north end of a building with a second story in the middle, so it gets basically no sun exposure and stays cooler. The house has some good south-facing windows which really capture a lot of afternoon solar heat when the sky's clear. Temps still trending down below freezing overnight here. We're not burning all day and into the night anymore, but I've yet to shut down the stoves for cleaning/maintenance. Soon, I hope. Rick

I started to burn again also.
Yesterday it got down into the 20's with snow.
Nothing measurable, but still snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.