Had to shut down the heat pump...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaralluis

Dec 14, 2005
Well tonight for the first time since it was installed on November 1st I had to shut down the heat pump.
It's -21C outside and the poor thing just doesnt cut it anymore... it still throws warm air but it goes into defrost too often that the house temp started to drop from 21 down to 20.
So I took it out of its misery and got the pellet stove going for tonight. Hopefully by tomorrow morning it will be back. :)
Impressive technology...

what type do you have? I have a trane XR15 and it cuts out at 20F... great money saving unit though!

Its a Daikin FTX15. Its rated for -18C but at -20 it still throws warm air, but the defrosting frequency removes the capability to keep the house temp.

With this winter cold spell, you folks are giving it the acid test for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.