Had to turn on the electric heat, yuck.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
Stove is preforming well but the extreme cold snap is causing the windows to steam and almost frost up. Have the kids heaters on under there windows and the dehumidifier on which I finds sucks heat out of the house. Shoveled the snow off the roof and ready or another belt of it come Saturday, may be another 40cm, what a winter so far. Looking at near -50c with the wind chill tonight.

Two stoves burning and the mini split on "fan only" here and I'm able to keep the house at 21::C (70::F). Darned cold here as well, predicting blizzard conditions and wind chills in the -30::C (-22::F) range. Hard old style winter. :eek:

It never got higher than -6F here all day. I've reloaded the 30 twice and my living room is a toasty 75, bedrooms are 68ish.

Rough one for sure. Spoke to my wife's Uncle last night over a few rum and he is a TRUE old hat at the fire wood. Grew up in the log camps. Showed me his winter stock, bone dry birch and spruce, big stuff. I said "guess you don't believe in burning green wood". He said "why would I, I have the time to let it dry" He went on to say we had a winter like this back in 57 and warm weather will hit in a couple weeks. Sure enough, calling for +5 early next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.